1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long before YOU toss?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ICallMyselfCherie', Jun 9, 2011.

1. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Hey, everyone. I was just wondering how long everyone here waits after they see no development in an egg before they toss it? For example: I candled all my serama eggs on Day 2. Yes, early, I know. But I found six that were obviously developing, and the rest were not . . . not yet, at least. Checked again today (Day 3-4), with exactly the same results. The ones that had been developing were growing rapidly, the ones that had shown nothing still showed absolutely nothing.

The reason I'm interested in what you all do is because in the past I've waited like half the incubation period before I gave up and tossed the duds. Now with 20 out of 26 serama eggs looking like no goes and 11 more ready to be set, I'm actually pondering throwing the duds this soon!

So how about you guys -- how long do you wait for duds?

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

ICallMyselfCherie' :

Hey, everyone. I was just wondering how long everyone here waits after they see no development in an egg before they toss it? For example: I candled all my serama eggs on Day 2. Yes, early, I know. But I found six that were obviously developing, and the rest were not . . . not yet, at least. Checked again today (Day 3-4), with exactly the same results. The ones that had been developing were growing rapidly, the ones that had shown nothing still showed absolutely nothing.

The reason I'm interested in what you all do is because in the past I've waited like half the incubation period before I gave up and tossed the duds. Now with 20 out of 26 serama eggs looking like no goes and 11 more ready to be set, I'm actually pondering throwing the duds this soon!

So how about you guys -- how long do you wait for duds?

Day 10. I toss the obvious. At lockdown I toss the rest of the obvious.​

3. ICallMyselfCherie'

Thank you for your response! [​IMG] I'll keep waiting.

4. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    i give them time. candled at 10 days, placed the ones in question in the front line. candled them a week later, and if they were still no go's (no black band, lit up like a globe, yolk floating around) they come out.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. ICallMyselfCherie'

Well, sounds like waiting is the thing to do, just to be safe. Thank you! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by