How long between sulfa based treatment ?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Jarsheart, Oct 29, 2010.

1. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    There is coccidia in my flock. Two hens died, and one was very ill. The vet prescribed sulfatrim, which is given orally to each individual chicken based on weight. I did not have quick access to sulmet. I decided to give my sick hen the sulfatrim while I ordered sulmet and corrid online. My hen is improved, her treatment course ended on Monday. I now have the sulmet and corrid to treat the rest of my flock. I want to give the sulmet first. What is the minimum length of time between treating with two sulfa based medications for the same bird ? HELP !!

2. ultasol

ultasol Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2009
    SE Washington
    DOn't follow sulfa with sulfa! Be very very careful with the dosage of sulfa drugs, they are toxic to organs when overdosed even in minor amounts. I prefer using corid/amprol/amproloprium (sp) which are all the same thing. You can overdose and unless you really really overdo it, it won't cause major harm.

3. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    Well, I finally found the answer at www.firststatevetsupply.com . The time between the use of sulfa drugs in poultry is 3 weeks, which is much longer than I had thought. Yikes !! So the corid therapy has begun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by