1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can a broody go without food?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mountain Bear, May 15, 2013.

1. Mountain Bear

Mountain Bear Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    I have a broody that is due in two days. A week ago I placed her in front of the feed and she ate, drank then hopped back up onto the nest (about 1 1/2 feet of the ground). Shortly after this I cleaned out the coop to which only she has access. it has been about five days and I see no poop in the fresh shavings. I set her in front of the food yesterday and she barely ate at all but just got back on the nest. How concerned should I be? and is there anything I can do? She seems to be alert and will still puff up and peck at me if I reach in the nest. I would hate to loose her but the chicks are due in two days and I don't want to disturb her any more than needed. Any advice?

2. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I just leave mine alone I figure the chicken knows what and when to do it.

3. Mountain Bear

Mountain Bear Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2012
    Thanks for the advice Rich, that is exactly what I did. Now my only concern, the nest is 1 1/2 feet off the ground. Do I move her? I don't see any way for the chicks to get back up. The feed you see is only temporary since I can't keep water up there.

[​IMG]

4. Rich386

Rich386 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    I would just put a little temp. ramp for the chicks. A piece of 2x4 or plywood.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by