1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How Long Can A Broody Stay Off Her Nest?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Flutterbee, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Flutterbee

Flutterbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Virginia
    My hen, Edna, is out eating (she did this when I put a seed cake in the cage) and it's been about fifteen minutes. The eggs are around eleven to twelve days along and it just makes me nervous watching and waiting for her to return. Is it okay that she's off the nest for this long? How long can she be off it for? I really don't want anything bad to happen to the chicks.

Update: She just returned to the nest. But for future reference, how long does a broody usually stay off of her nest so I don't watch Edna biting my fingernails. I'm only so worried because mom said this is the last time I can let a hen hatch eggs due to my neglectful collecting skills so I want everyone to make it.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Everything will be fine with your eggs. This time of year a hen can stay off the nest for a couple of hours with no bad effects.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by