How long can a chick chirp in an egg without pipping?UPDATED:4 HATCHED

P0U1TRYP3RS0N

Songster
12 Years
Mar 11, 2007
There is one egg in my incubator that keeps chirping. No rocking or movement, just chirping and peeping. I first heard it chirp this morning, and it's still making noise, but hasn't pipped! How long do they generally chirp and peep before they pip? Is something wrong?
PS- Is there anything I can do to encourage it to pip?

Last edited:
I've heard chirping for as long as a day before pipping. There is nothing you can do to rush the process. If the chick gets pulled out too soon it will die. Hatching is a very methodical biological process and requires several things to happen, is a certain sequence, in order for it to be succesful. This even includes the chick using up oxygen allowing carbon dioxide to build up in it's bloodstream.

Richard

Peep back at it! I talk to them and sing to them and do all kinds of crazy stuff. But I will tell you they won't come out until they're good and ready.
smile.png

I would guess with all the peeping you're hearing, it is either coming from another egg or this egg is pipped where you can't see it (typically the latter). Patience and she will hatch.

Jody

Peep back at it! I talk to them and sing to them and do all kinds of crazy stuff. But I will tell you they won't come out until they're good and ready.

Haha I did that and played music for mine.​

There is one egg that is pipped- just barely-this little hairline crack but it is a pip! YAY! So this must be the one who's trying to talk to me.

When I wen tot bed last night this egg was no where near hatching, and when I got up a few minutes ago to check, it had zipped but I thought it would be another couple hours, so I climbed back into bed and heard some rattling in the 'baotr....Wouldn't you know it, it hatched while I wasn't looking! It has a little pit of a bloody navel, but it's not like bleeding, it's just pink. YAY!!!! I'm so excited!!!
jumpy.gif

PS- Also while I was asleep, three faverolle eggs pipped, and when this little chick hatched and started scooting around the incubator and peeping, someone is chirping back to it!!!

one of my eggs has been chirping in the egg for 2 days now. and has no pipping anywhere.

Well, a total of four chicks
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
have hatched now, and I think that's all that will hatch b/c none of the other eggs are pipped, moving or chirping. Three hatched on their own, but I helped one little guy who had been trying all day and wasn't making much progress....I'm not sure if he'll live...His navel looks a tad bloody, and he has deformed feet.

Back
Top Bottom