How long can a chicken go without eating?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kellygreen, Feb 5, 2013.

1. kellygreen

kellygreen Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    I've posted a few times about a sick hen (sorry!), and I'm at a loss as to what to do with her. She's been like a zombie for over a week - she won't eat or drink (drinks a little when I make her), has her feathers fluffed up and mostly just stands or sits ion the corner. I suspect it's mareks, because I had a rooster that tested positive, though this one has been vaccinated.
    Should I force feed her? I've only managed to shove a little bit of cheese and some tomato in her beak, and it was a real struggle. I'm giving her water with hypericum and vitamin B complex, but there's no improvement at all.

2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Give her a table spoon of sugar to 100ml of boiling water and leave to cool, then syringe it into her mouth bit by bit allowing her to swallow, it will give her a energy boost and should get her eating and drinking abit :)

3. kellygreen

Apr 29, 2011
    Thanks, that didn't work, either, though...
    It's strange - she shows a little interest in food sometimes, and makes like she's going to eat, but it's almost like she can't connect it with her beak. She walks around, but very slowly.

4. kellygreen

Apr 29, 2011
    Finally!!! She seems to be getting back to herself. I locked her in the coop and locked out two that were pecking her, and she gradually started drinking and eating a little. I wonder if keeping her inside and coddling her was keeping her from just being a chicken? Who knows!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by