how long can a duck wander off a nest before eggs die?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by spish, May 12, 2010.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    my mallard on the nest in the garden (with my chicken eggs under her as well as her own!) has wondered off. i thought maybe shed gone for a bite to eat but hasnt came back after 2 hours. is this normal??? wont the eggs go cold? (its pouring down here and very cold)
    should i bring the eggs in??? shes been sitting for 2 weeks now..seems such a waste to let the chicks die? or is 2 hours without 'mum' ok??

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Is she back on the nest now or still off?

Two hours is a little long if it was a regular thing every day.

If she is back sitting again now- it would be best to let her stay and do her thing however - Keep an eye on her and if she takes off for that long again tomorrow I would consider putting at least some of those eggs in to an incubator.

3. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    no shes still not back. i took 2 eggs inside to candle and it seems thy were both infertile, so i cracked them both open and both contained tiny embryos that looked like they'd died early on (smelly)
    so i took my chickens eggs and candled them too. all 4 contained embryos that appear to have died early on.
    so im guessing something happened at the beginning of the hatch to kill of the chicks and she's abandoned the nest?

4. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Sorry to hear that... [​IMG] Hope you have better luck next time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by