how long can a egg be able to hatch???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Henny peeny, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    I thought a egg has to be a certain temp to be able to hatch and if it is not at that temp (what ever it should be I know I am criptic here but please I am trying to explain as best I can) then no chicks shall there be. And when eggs are shipped how can they be hatchable if not at a constand temp they may be warmed some intransport but once in the post office?? home I domt know wherr they come post offcie or home but even so I can't see how they hatch if they drop on temp. I had a giunea egg long before i have the giunea I have now and I had it in one hand and kept it against me to keep it warm. Am I making any sense here??

Rhayden

I am curious I don't want to get eggs to hatch I am just curious as to this.

2. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    You are correct that in order to hatch they have to be kept at a certain temperature. They won't start to develop until they are consistently at that temperature, which is why it is possible to hold eggs out for a few days before starting to incubate. They won't start to develop while they are at a lower temperature - for example, in your house where it is 65-75 degrees. And, when shipped, while they are in transit they will (hopefully) not be at a high enough temperature to start to develop either.

3. Nottinghamranch

Nottinghamranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Texas
    I've actually read about some eggs being kept in the refridgerator for 3 weeks and then after in an incubator and THEY hatched as well. WOW I had no idea they could be hatched as well. Kinda cool.

4. Shelz

Shelz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    S.E. Iowa
    3 weeks?!!!! That is amazing......I never would have thought they could be "dormant" for such a long period of time and then still remain viable...pretty cool for sure.

5. Henny peeny

Henny peeny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    NC
    I was told by putting them in the frig you KILLL THE BABY and now I hear you CAN put them inthe frig and then they still hatch they must go into substaind anomation (sp?) wow if we could learn to do this a... forget it the world has enough people on it and it would only get worse the food and all would even be less I DIDN'T SAY ANYTHING. walking of slowing and whisteling ......... hands in pockets.

Rhayden

6. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    While it is possible to hatch them if they have been refrigerated, eggs tend to do better if they have NOT been refrigerated.

7. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    While you can sometimes hatch refrigerated eggs, you won't get nearly as good a hatch rate as non-refigerated eggs. Eggs are best if kept at 70 degrees, that way they are less likely to develop.

8. Nottinghamranch

Nottinghamranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Texas
    (Sorry to change the subj on your thread)

Well see, thats what I thought. Why take a chance on refridgeration and then waste all that time thinking they will all hatch? I myself just started the incubator on the 19th and didn't use any refridgerated eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by