How Long can a hen last with Impacted Crop?

Omeletta

Songster
12 Years
Jun 12, 2007
Alberta, Canada
My favorite (of course) hen has had an impacted crop for almost 2 weeks now. She is emaciated, and eating lots. Some food must be getting through, as she still eats and drinks. Her breath is not sour, but her poop is pretty runny. I have massaged her crop, given olive oil and apple cider vinegar. I don't know what to do! She is still laying, as well. Going to the vet is not an option, as I just spent $400 for our cat.

Any ideas?

hit.gif

I should add, her crop is quite full every morning, and she walks rather lopsidedly.

Last edited:
When I have this happen, I remove the food and give the hen nothing but grit and water for a couple of days. Usually works. If you are really worried about the hens type in the-coop.org and click on the classroom. The you can ask any question you want. Nost of the time it is a vet or some expert answering your question.

I would not give grit... grit is for the gizzard (not the crop)... it will usually just make the impaction worse. crop stasis (so when the musculature is unable to move the contents of the crop through) often happens within a relatively short time following impaction so if you are unable to massage it through then you will need a vet to surgically remove it. There have been many many cases of complications from cropstasis (yeast and bacterial infections from the feed remaining too long in the crop or the crop not emptying properly) following an impaction so if it does not resolve please think about taking her to a vet to have it removed and the crop flushed.

Back
Top Bottom