1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can a hen lay fertile eggs after being seperated from the roosters?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kkelsh14, Oct 10, 2013.

1. kkelsh14

kkelsh14 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    Indiana
    Hi everyone, I'm new here, and while I have used the site a lot recently I just now signed up. I need help! I just bought my first chickens, all hens (11). I have a Black Star that I have been suspicious of being broody, but I have continued taking her eggs anyway, since she has not been aggressive toward me and she isn't persistently on the nest. When I collect the eggs, she is either on or nearby the nest she made but she doesn't resist me when I move her. She has gathered everyone else's eggs and brought them to her nest 2 or 3 times. Now, she refuses to leave the house and go out into the run, she stays near the large nest she made in the corner of the floor (not in the nesting boxes). My problem is that my hens have been away from the rooster they were with for about a week now. If I let her sit on her eggs (and everyone else's she claims) will I be wasting my time? Or could they still be laying fertile eggs at this point in time?

Sorry if this has been asked before, all I could find was questions about eating fertile eggs LOL.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Hens retain relatively high fertility up until two weeks after the removal of a rooster, some fertility up until 3 weeks, and occasional fertility longer than that.

3. kkelsh14

kkelsh14 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 10, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks for the welcome and help! This is such a great online community, I'm excited to be a part of it! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by