How long can a hen stay off her eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ocar3273, May 22, 2019.

1. Ocar3273

Ocar3273 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    So, I have a broody and this morning she got off them from 9 to 3 o’clock, she is now staying on them but would the fertilized eggs be dead and unviable anymore???
    Please respond and thank you!!!

:highfive:

2. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    No, the eggs are probably fine, unless it was very cold where you are, such as below 55 degrees. Your location is not in your profile so I don't know what the daily temps were.

Ocar3273 likes this.
  3. Ocar3273

Ocar3273 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    I live in Canada BC and it was about 24 degrees Celsius so they wouldn’t be dead then? Because they are about 1-2 Days in

4. Criticalicious

Criticalicious Songster

Feb 25, 2017
    New Market, VA
    24 C is 75F. The eggs can survive a few hours at that temp without harm, especially if the broody only just started. l wouldn't worry unless they were chilled below more like 15°C

Ocar3273 likes this.

5. I'll give you a word of comfort I read somewhere. Hens do a better job at caring for eggs, chicks, and baby chickens better than we as humans do. They were made by God (Or evolution if you believe that) specifically for that purpose. They know what they are doing; they have it in our blood. We don't. Which is why I would really wish humans would quit interfering with hens when they are caring/raising baby chickens. It's like you interfering with another female humans care and raising of her kids. She would do a better job than you any day; they are her kids. Same goes with a chicken. It knows what it's doing. Humans don't. That's why I don't care for "Well, the professionals say..." and
    "Well, experts do..." They aren't chickens. They aren't hens! So they (and all of us) need to stop interfering with hens when they are raising chickens. She's good. She is a mom. She'll take care of them so no need to keep worrying :D Hope I helped!

P.S. Apologies if any of that sounded rude or like I was agitated. I was passive the entire time I was typing, just don't want anyone to get the wrong impression :D)

6. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    hello @Ocar3273 ! welcome to BYC :frow
    I was in a similar position to you, and my broody caused me much angst by abandoning them first night to roost on perch, then spending whole days then afternoons off, going to the wrong nest, etc for the first week and a half! 21 days came and went. Yesterday - day 22 - I heard cheeping and got a glimpse of one chick :celebrate. She is still being difficult and not letting me know if there's more (there were 3 eggs under) but it leads me to the same view as those who've written above, don't worry. Be patient. Let her do it. It may not work, but interference might not either. :)

7. Ocar3273

Ocar3273 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    Thank you guys so much you guys are all right and I know it but she gets off every morning till the end of the day and this morning the eggs were pretty cold, I have since moved her to my room where she can not be bothered by the other chickens so that she is not encouraged to jump out for chicken treats she is doing well but I’m worried about the eggs. This might just be me being worried all the time but I really do hope the eggs are okay. I canceled them this morning and they all have this dot on the top of the egg it’s now day 3 and will they have a little more noticeable embryo with veins around it ???
    Thanks everyone!!!

PirateGirl likes this.
  8. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    this has photos showing development day by day
    https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/embryonic-development-day-by-day
    I would advise you either to trust your broody or use an incubator. Mine brought the chicks (2) out today BTW; when I cracked the abandoned egg I found that it must have died about day 4 of incubation, but these two are perfect :wee P1080427.JPG

9. Ocar3273

Ocar3273 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    I’ll send you guys a picture because I don’t know if it’s a early death or just the blastoderm enlarging

Attached Files:

10. Ocar3273

Ocar3273 In the Brooder

May 22, 2019
    I think it’s day three if not 2 and a little bit she got off and on the first two days so maybe would that effect it ??

Wickedchicken6 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: