How long can a hova bator 1602n run for?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DavidFromGlenEden, Nov 20, 2017.

1. DavidFromGlenEden

DavidFromGlenEden Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2017
    Hi BYC,

My hens lay every now and then, I also buy eggs every now and then. I have 2 hova bators 1602n, one for incubating (always at 99.5f, 50% humidity, with tilting tray), the other for hatching (99.5f, 70% humidity, no tilting tray).

How long can I run my hova bator 1602n for? Can I run them both for 3 months continuously? If so, would there be either any engine failure (computer fan, heater) or/and any hygiene issues (bug created in the hatcher through a prolonged time at high humidity and hatching eggs)? Would it also be a fire hazard?

What would be your cleaning routine? Can it be done mid flight eg replace the non slip mat, wipe off the egg crums, air our the hova bator for say 10 mins then back to hatching again. It's summer here now, it's pretty warm and also intend to have a hair dryer running behind me to minimize heat loss.

Many thanks,

David

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can run them till the heat element or thermostat fail.

3. DavidFromGlenEden

Aug 6, 2017
    thanks ChickenCanoe,
    Are you aware of any hygiene issues developing in a hatcher if ran for say 3 months in a row?

Cheers

David

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You should completely disinfect from time to time. Maybe research oxine.

DavidFromGlenEden likes this.
  5. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Overrun With Chickens

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I clean my hatcher every time the hatch is finished. With bleach and soap. Bacteria can grow rapidly in the warm moist environment with the body products produced by chicks that have hatched. It isn't healthy for the next babies that hatch and you risk losing later the ones.

6. Lol
    I just recently unplugged mine after running several for 3 years nonstop.
    I hatch once a week so hatchers get cleaned once a week. The incubators I hardly ever clean.
    I had issues with the waffer going bad in one but that's it on them. Now those turners are a different story. Had several of those give out.
    They've been really good for me. Plug and play. To be honest I don't even check temps unless I have a bad hatch. They just hold steady and keep on going. Imo they're the energizer bunny of cheap incubators.

puffypoo22 and DavidFromGlenEden like this.
  7. DavidFromGlenEden

Aug 6, 2017
    Hey moonshiner, 3 years?!? Woaw, I'm impressed!

Yes, I'm also really pleased with the hova bator 1602n, it's temperature is stable and I can sleep on both ears!

Just crossing on another post of mine moonshiner, do your hova bators interfere with the speakers of your radio? Some kind of grizzling, scrambled radio wave signals?

Cheers

David

8. I don't know. Never played a radio anywhere near them.
    We have a small bedroom that I have them set up in that is just used for incubators and some storage.
    Yes that wasn't a typo they were running for three years. I'm an hatchohalic and recently decided I should take a winter break. Its been sooo hard and I've honestly just set back up a few breeding pairs and trios.
    Maybe you've given me the perfect excuse to get them running again. I should really fire them up and throw a radio in there just to check results for you. Lol

9. DavidFromGlenEden

Aug 6, 2017
    Hey moonshiner, wouldn't you want to upgrade to a bigger machine to feed your hatching thirst?

It's always nice to have a radio around especially when stuck in the basement for a couple of hours. Give it a go, listen to talk shows while doing this and that in your spare room.

Yes the inference from the hova bator's and the speakers is weird. I think you're looking for any excuses to crank them up moonshiner! I'm either right or my chick quails are gonna be abducted by aliens hahaha

David

10. DavidFromGlenEden

Aug 6, 2017
    Hey Moonshiner,

I've explained the troubleshooting I've done in another thread:
    hova bator inference with any speakers.

Cheers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by