how long can an egg be outside

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mejumpmore1, Oct 26, 2013.

1. mejumpmore1

mejumpmore1 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    SootHow Long Is It Ok For An Egg To Be Outside And Still Be Eaten? One Of My Girls Laid Her First Egg, Which I Discovered In A Hiding SPot This Morning As She Was Trying To Get InTo Lay Another Egg. I'm Not Entirely Sure When The Egg Was Laid, Could Have Been Two Days Ago. We Have.Had Cool Nights And Mornings, Afternoons TendToward Upper 60S Low 70S.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Congratulations on your first egg! The egg should be fine at those temperatures. Some people don't refrigerate eating eggs at all but leave them out (unwashed) on the counter for a week or two in moderate weather. Don't forget a hen will take two or three weeks to collect a clutch of eggs to set on, and the older eggs often will still be fine and hatch. It is still a good idea to open all eggs into a separate bowl or something to check them before you use them in case there is some problem with them.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    An egg should be fine for a few days outside at those temperatures.

4. You can always do the bowl of water test.

5. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    In my experience between 3-4 weeks outside in 95* temps the yolk starts to become runny. The eggs are still eatable but I don't care for them in that state.

6. mejumpmore1

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    What is a bowl of water test?

7. Put the egg in question into a bowl of cold water - at least twice as deep as the egg itself. If it stays on the bottom, the egg is fresh. If it floats up to the top, it's no good to eat. Sometimes the fat end of the egg will float up while the pointy end stays down. Not fresh but some folks will still eat it. Personally, I would toss it or feed it to the animals.

8. mejumpmore1

Oct 8, 2013
    Alabama
    Ok, thank you! I'll give that a try. I'd much rather KNOW that it is for sure safe to eat than have to make a guess on the matter. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by