How long can an egg be sat on by the hen, and still be eaten?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by robbin, May 7, 2008.

1. robbin

robbin New Egg

May 7, 2008
    How long can a hen sit on an egg and that egg still be used for normal consumption?

I've seen lots of articles that say you need to check for eggs every day. That is simply not an option for me.

Thanks,
    Robbin

2. raindrop

raindrop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2008
    Western Oregon
    Do you have a rooster?

3. robbin

robbin New Egg

May 7, 2008
    Not yet, but I'm planning on getting one. But I'll keep the number of chickens fairly small.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If the egg is fertile it starts developing on day one, so I don't think I'd want to eat any that she's sat on for even a day.

We posted at the same time....I see you don't have a roo so a developing chick wouldn't be an issue. How often are you able to gather them?

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the eggs are not fertile, a few day's wont hurt as nothing will change in the egg. If the eggs are fertile, the embryo will start to develop and be visible by the eye 2 days after being sat on...that being said. If you don't have a hen actively sitting on eggs and trying to hatch them. They will sit cold all night and the layers will sporatically sit to deposit their eggs, so every few days you could probably get away with. However, this increases chances of broken eggs which can lead to egg eating, and some say, increases the chance of a hen wanting to set.

6. robbin

robbin New Egg

May 7, 2008
    Okay, how about not-fertile?

7. robbin

robbin New Egg

May 7, 2008
    Thanks for the help!

8. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    if you are chinese, fertile 2 days before hatching.....yuck...

If hen is broody, I'd worry about bacteria growing in warm egg. Gather at night when you get home, no problem.

9. robbin

robbin New Egg

May 7, 2008
    Hi Katy,
    I can usually only get them every friday thru sunday.
    My little farm is about 60 miles away. I've got automatic feeders and waters for all my critters. So far it's worked great, but the decission to get chickens has left me getting rid of eggs because I'm unsure of them.

I've read you can keep unwashed, fresh eggs for a month on the counter top, but they weren't sat on!

Thanks,
    Robin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by