1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can an egg lay outside before collecting it

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 007Dawn, Oct 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    We are out running around this morning.

We collected 36 eggs that were laid today but we are finding tons of eggs under the house that have had to been laid within the past 4-5 days.

We are also finding them in areas we know they weren't there 3-4 days ago.

So our girls are rocking! But how long before we can not collect them?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you only have 11 hens as your signature line says, there's no way all 36 of those eggs are from today.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    This can vary depending on temperature, whether they're dirty or not, whether they've gotten wet, and so on.

I'd float test them to determine the ones to keep.

Any that lie on the bottom of the bowl should be fresh enough to keep.

Any that rise up on one end under the water are questionable. Be sure to crack them into a cup one by one before putting them into anything.

Any that float should be handled like the stink bombs they may possibly be and disposed of outside.

Now that you know they are laying well you need to train them to use your nest boxes.

.....Alan.

4. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Sorry but yes they are. They are heavy producers. Every day we go out we have at least 22 fresh eggs. We know where they typically lay. The other eggs all look the same and we are finding them under the bushes where they hide and in other areas where we know they were not there 4-5 days ago.

The ones under the bushes we have no idea so we won't even play with the idea.

BUT really they are laying them unless someone is dropping the eggs off which is highly unlikely.

5. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Sorry, I am with no way they are from today. I think I would make note of where they are laying, let the dogs have the eggs and keep track from today. I don't eat them if I question them, simply put, there will be more tomorrow, and I would rather not take a chance. First time I crack a rotten or partially developed egg will be the end of my chicken days for sure.

6. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    A.T. Hagan :

This can vary depending on temperature, whether they're dirty or not, whether they've gotten wet, and so on.

I'd float test them to determine the ones to keep.

Any that lie on the bottom of the bowl should be fresh enough to keep.

Any that rise up on one end under the water are questionable. Be sure to crack them into a cup one by one before putting them into anything.

Any that float should be handled like the stink bombs they may possibly be and disposed of outside.

Now that you know they are laying well you need to train them to use your nest boxes.

.....Alan.

Thank you this is what I needed to know! I'm blown away by all of these eggs! They free range during the day and typically have found two places in our shed that are large enough and safe enough for them and we don't care because the shed leaks from the floor and we plan to take it down. BUT we def need to find a new place for them!​

7. 007Dawn

007Dawn Out Of Coop

Apr 29, 2009
    Quote:We check everyday and we know where they lay. These are in the knowing spots the other strays we have not counted we do not know exactly. Sorry but there is no reason to lie about it!

8. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    Then I want to know what breed you are raising- 36 eggs out of 11 hens before noon? I want those chickens.

9. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've had chickens for 50+ years and have yet to have a chicken that laid more than one egg a day. Sorry, but I don't believe you for one second.

10. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    I need to get me some of those hens! That's more than 3 eggs a day per hen.............................. I'm sorry, there is no way they can lay this many eggs. They can only lay one egg a day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by