1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can an egg sit in the coop and still be good?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bendystar, Jan 12, 2011.

1. bendystar

bendystar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    San Diego
    That's basically it- I found an egg while cleaning out the coop yesterday so I have no idea when it was laid. Is it safe to eat or should I throw it out? I usually gather at the end of the day, or whenever I see an egg or hear a big fuss coming from them. We only have 3 hens so we usually get 3 eggs a day and yesterday I only got one so I'm thinking it was from then. Any insight?

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    Use the float test. If it floats it is no good. If it sinks right down tot he bottom, it is fine. Eggs stay fresh for weeks as long as they aren't being sat on by a hen or heated up to 100 degrees some other way.

3. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    If the bloom is still intact the egg can say good for weeks, just check it for damage. I would also eat it sooner.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Bloom = months even.
    In most parts of the world - like the tropics, you'll rarely find eggs at the grocer refrigerated. They're sitting on the shelf in the heat - but they aren't required to wash them like here so the bloom is intact.

In lieu of the float test, the smell test works too.

5. bendystar

bendystar Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2010
    San Diego
    Sorry- what's the bloom?

6. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Quote:Its a natural coating chickens put on the outside of the egg to protect it.

If you don't really need the egg then I would toss it. No sense getting sick. Especially if it's been warm where you are. Eggs kept in warm places do not last for weeks.

If you insist then crack it open into a bowl and check it that way.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. Cass

Cass Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Albany, NY
    Quote:Its a natural coating chickens put on the outside of the egg to protect it.

If you don't really need the egg then I would toss it. No sense getting sick. Especially if it's been warm where you are. Eggs kept in warm places do not last for weeks.

If you insist then crack it open into a bowl and check it that way.

Please define "warm".

My aunt kept her freshly laid eggs on her counter for as long as I can remember, no matter what the season was. She had 7 children and 50 hens. I doubt that the eggs stayed around for months, but the ones on the bottom of the basket were definately there for weeks. I think the only time she got to the bottom of the basket was in the winter when the hens stopped laying every day.

So I think that eggs do not require refridgeration...the US is the only country that DOES keep their eggs cool.

8. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    Left alone a hen will lay eggs for a week or more to collect a clutch before sitting on them.

In that time the egg goes into a suspended animation state - it doesn't develop or die - just kind of hangs out.

When the hen decides to sit on the eggs the temp jumps up to 99 or so. This is when the egg starts to develop.

So "warm" would mean warm enough to start development - anything from 80* & up - if the age is unknown I would inspect closely - maybe break into a bowl instead of the pan etc.

9. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    a few references for thought

http://www.thegrainmillwf.com/dont-wash-those-eggs-yet
    http://www.localforage.com/local_forage/2007/03/egg_safety_tips.html
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC377620/pdf/applmicro00001-0110.pdf

but here is a study conducted by Mother Earth News showing unwashed eggs can last for months regardless of the temperature.
    Washing is the problem. It allows bacteria to enter.

I swear that in Mexico, Guatemala, Costa Rica, I buy unrefrigerated unwashed eggs of unknown age and never had a problem.

10. DoloresRun

DoloresRun Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Traralgon
    Australia is another country that does not refrigerate eggs! When I first moved here I was shocked but after learning more about eggs.... Not so shocking anymore!

As far as I am concerned though, if you don't need to eat the egg then I would crack it, smell it to make sure it's ok and then scramble and feed it to your chickens! You can crumble the eggshell into it as well as an extra bit of calcium for them.

Not worth the risk I think (to eat it I mean)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by