How long can an egg sit under a broody before it starts to incubate?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Smokin Silkies, Jul 27, 2010.

1. Smokin Silkies

Smokin Silkies formerly browneyebuttafly

Mar 27, 2009
    Western, PA
    I have some broodies down there that I'm trying to break. I'm not getting many eggs at all from my hens. They are sitting on eggs now but I'd like to start removing the eggs just laid. It's very hot outside and I can't go check every half an hour for eggs. How long can an egg sit under a broody before it starts the incubation process? I plan on saving the eggs for a few days and incubating them all together and I don't want broodies right now (I'm going to wait til they hatch the eggs they are sitting on first, I have them marked) I don't want to remove the egg if its too late and then won't hatch because it already started to incubate. Any help???

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2010
  2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    Essentially as soon as an egg is under the broody it starts to develop, but all you will notice is a widening of the 'ring' that is the embryo.

Take them out as soon as you can, pointy end down and store them somewhere cool, they will almost certainly be fine,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by