How long can an embryo live under these conditions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FrizzleFreak, May 3, 2009.

1. FrizzleFreak

FrizzleFreak Chillin' With My Peeps

Okay, so when I deemed my Silkie an unfit mother, I was kind of assuming it would be for 3 days at most, and then hatching. WHen this didn't happen I took a look inside the eggs. The first one was majorly [​IMG] and:hit because the chickie was probably only 5 days or so from hatching when it died. It had been dead a while. The second one, which I started from the air cell, and I'm really good at peeling eggs without breaking them, had some fresh blood and movement in it. I quickly wrapped it in saran wrap and put it back in the bator. Will it live?

2. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

probably not...

ETA: Plastic wrap is not porous and will not allow proper evaporation and exchange of oxygen.

Last edited: May 3, 2009
  3. FrizzleFreak

the rest of the egg is open, because I had thought about that. I'm also worried, because the membrane is white and tough. Does that mean my humidity is too low? It hasn't gone any lower than 35%...although yesterday it spiked to 46% because of the weird weather.

4. Poulets De Cajun

yes its dry... don't get too attached, it probably wont make it.

5. FrizzleFreak

that means I probably have to spritz a little in there? It's 38% right now. Sorry, but I'm really new to hatching (broodies do it so well!) And so many people said not to let it get over 40. I'm confused.

6. FrizzleFreak

What if I used a wet paper towel or something instead?
    Sorry, I forgot to thank you. THANK YOU!!

7. Poulets De Cajun

When it comes to incubation and percentages/temps, it's pretty much circumstancial and relavant to your conditions. My incubator stays at one humidity level from start to finish. It RARELY gets above 55% and usually doesn't fall below 45%. They go in at that percentage, and hatch at that percentage, and try as I may, I can never change it.

Do what you can, and hope for the best. Misting probably wouldn't be a bad idea, if its within a day or two of hatching, but if you've got more than half of the incubation period left, I'd give it up.

8. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    YES! Spritz & Put Wet washcloths, paper towels... whatever you've got in there!

Give it a while and read the stickies up top about when to help, when not to help & if you do how.

I agree with chris, don't get too attatched but don't give up![​IMG]

[​IMG] is what you might get![​IMG]

We have helped once (she piped and then the mama left the nest & she got DRIED out) in the past (I know a lot of people dont believe in it & thats ok too!) & now have our favorite chicken.

Good luck & I hope everything works out.

Humidity need to be at 45% for days 1-18 (when you stop turning) & then Up to 65% on the last three days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by