How long can baby chicks survive in the mail????

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
Okay here's the problem. I ordered 18 chicks from Meyer Hatchery. They were supposed to come Tuesday-Thursday. Now here's the problem. The darn (I don't wanna cuss on this website) Post Office "missent" to Phoenix. It was in Cleveland and it was supposed to ship to Minneapolis (I live in North Dakota, right to the west of Minnesota). But instead of Minneapolis, they sent them to Phoenix. 2 Extra days. 2 ever so crucial days for baby chicks. I'm expecting at LEAST half of them to be dead. But I'm SO glad I purchased Gro-Gel with them. I know it won't save all of them, but I'm hoping it can save at least a couple. I don't blame Meyer Hatchery one bit for this. The PO just screwed me big time. And of course there's no other date l can get the breeds I've ordered. I know it happens to a lot of people, but I'm still really ****** about it. All I can do is hope and pray for one more day.

I'm not sure how good their odds are, but I'd imagine Meyer will replace any DOAs. I know that doesn't make it any better, but its a start.
As far as the breeds you want, I something similar happen, I lost a few of a certain breed to shipping. They were listed as sold out when I called the hatchery, but they still replaced my specific breed. Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok.

Hatcheries make things right. They may collect from the USPS under an insurance or something, but rest assured, they'll replace your chicks. Don't help you feel any better right now though. Sorry. It happens. They "lost" a box of eggs we shipped last year for an entire week. Needless to say, you cannot hold eggs that long.

Last edited:
This will probably not make you feel any better but I ordered from Meyer and got gro-gel as well. It does not come available to the chicks in the box. They ship it under the bedding in a ziploc so that it can be mixed and fed at arrival. I am so sorry about your chicks and am praying that they arrive soon.

This will probably not make you feel any better but I ordered from Meyer and got gro-gel as well. It does not come available to the chicks in the box. They ship it under the bedding in a ziploc so that it can be mixed and fed at arrival. I am so sorry about your chicks and am praying that they arrive soon.
Oh god. That is probably the worst news I could've received. But I am very thankful for you telling me this. Now I'm officially expecting 0 to arrive.

Wait until you get the box to place blame. I ended up with a box of keets that ended up at the wrong post office. The shipper had typed in the wrong zipcode but right city. Boxes are sorted by zipcode first.

I would be waiting at the post office first thing in the morning.

I'm sorry this happened to you and your chicks.
hugs.gif
I hope somehow they turn up unharmed.
fl.gif

Wait until you get the box to place blame. I ended up with a box of keets that ended up at the wrong post office. The shipper had typed in the wrong zipcode but right city. Boxes are sorted by zipcode first.

I would be waiting at the post office first thing in the morning.
No, I know exactly what happened. They didn't arrive Thursday so I contacted my local postmaster and they were "mishipped" to Phoenix instead of Minneapolis. Now I don't understand why they don't pay extra attention to live animals. If anything got misshipped, can't it be some stupid piece of clothing or anything like that. As sad as I am, I feel extra sorry for the chicks. They're starving, dehydrated, and they are probably right next to some dead chicks.

Back
Top Bottom