How long can broody leave nest without hurting eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chknmomma, Jan 19, 2011.

1. chknmomma

chknmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    It is 40 degrees here today. Just about 40 exactly.

When I pick my broody and make her leave the nest for some free ranging time, I've been putting her back on after 5 minutes. I feel bad sending her back to her room :-(

Before I gave her the fertilized eggs, she would go back on her own after 20 mins or so. Is that too long in these temps? I would rather let her get back on the nest on her own then have to feel like the mom grounding her teenager daughter. [​IMG]

Thanks!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  2. eenie114

eenie114 Completly Hopeless

Quote:Hmmmm, well, what's the wind like?
    Also, there are people on this board who have hatched eggs that have been kept in the fridge for days, so don't worry too much. Just make sure she's drinking and eating plenty. I'd say that 7-10 min. should be good, but don't quote me. [​IMG]

3. gmendoza

gmendoza Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    In my opinion you should never never never take a broody off a nest. You should have ample room for her to eat,drink,stretch,and relieve herself,but make sure she cant wander away,like say an area of 24"x24"x18"high,like a prison for broodies.

4. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Thanks for the fast response!

There's no wind today.

We are on day 11 now; last night's candling it looked like 5 out of the 6 were viable. But I'm new to this. Nothing smells yet, so I'm keeping them all under her [​IMG]

5. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Quote:I did make a broody prison!! She is set up in my seedling greenhouse with a small area of food, water, bedding, nest, etc. I've been taking her out to get her to poop but yesterday she pooped IN the greenhouse.

It just makes me too nervous to take her off. Like maybe this time she won't want to get back on!

6. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:I did make a broody prison!! She is set up in my seedling greenhouse with a small area of food, water, bedding, nest, etc. I've been taking her out to get her to poop but yesterday she pooped IN the greenhouse.

It just makes me too nervous to take her off. Like maybe this time she won't want to get back on!

You shouldnt have to take her out at all.If she poops,she poops.

7. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Ok good to know. Thanks for the response!

8. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Bumping this back up.

So if the broody DOES get up and wander around her pen - how long is it usually safe to be off????

9. gmendoza

Mar 23, 2010
    Rock Hill,SC
    Quote:A couple of minutes or so.I never seen em get off the nest before,but there is evidence,like the food is empty,and their is a repulsive stink of brooder mom poop.

10. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    I have yet to see any food disappear in 12 days. She drinks from the waterer when I put it under her beak. I think she's probably pooped 2 or 3 times since she started sitting. Once when I put her out and twice in the greenhouse. That's it. That's why I was forcing her off the nest. To eat and drink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by