How long can button quail stay in the incubator after hatching?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Cherlyn, Dec 11, 2009.

1. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Hatching some out right now - some have been hatched for about 6 hours. How long can they stay in there?

~Cherlyn

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    As soon as their dry.Your brooder has to be around 95 degrees and remember to have food and water when you put them in.They will run to the water and make sure it's a chick waterer with something in the throth so they can't jump in and drownd.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. quailbrain

quailbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Oregon
    Button quail are small enough they will dry out quicker than other chicks. You want to get them into the brooder when they are dry and not more than 24hrs later.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Definitely not more than 24hours. I left some in overnight that had hatched during the day and they started attacking the hatching ones overnight and eating their feathers. One died because of that. They get hungry quickly and can be violent towards each other. It's best to remove them as soon as you have a few running about well.

5. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Because of their size and speed I like to get them out as soon as they are dry and the brooder is warmed up to 99 to 100 I put in shavings and straw sprinkle ground food around and put glass stones in the water to stop drowning

6. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    My, but they are loud little guys! They are in the brooder at the back of the house, and I am at the front, and wow! Quite loud. <3

~Cherlyn

7. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    They can be loud little things. I always hear them in the bator before I see them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by