how long can chicks stay in brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by adamj, Oct 19, 2013.

1. adamj

adamj New Egg

Sep 26, 2013
    Chatom Alabama
    my chicks are 4 weeks old and still in brooder. the temp is in high 40 low 50 at night. when can i move them into coop

2. cypressdrake

cypressdrake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2012
    Thibodaux, Louisiana.
    I leave mine in brooder until I see they have enough feathers to withstand the cold. If you see them all bunched up, sometimes they will kill each other trying to stay warm. I have my brooder set up where they can get in and out from under a heat light.

In most cases my chicks are moved out from 4 to 6 weeks and put in the same style coop with a 40 watt bulb.

If you move them and have any doubt, just watch them at night when it's cold, you will see if they are bunching up on each other. When this happens, there is sometimes several that don't make it, due to being squashed and unable to breath. If I see they're bunching up or cold, I move them back into brooder an extra week.
    Happy Brooding! [​IMG]

3. fluffychicken24

fluffychicken24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2013
    The Shire
    It usually depends on the season of the year, but as said above, until they have enough feathers to stay warm. I usually mine to a larger pen (with the heat lamp at night) at one to two months.

4. adamj

adamj New Egg

Sep 26, 2013
    Chatom Alabama
    thanks for the info. it is gonna get in high 30s so i am gonna leave them in a while longer

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by