How long can chicks stay outside?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by HaloAmanda, Sep 10, 2016.

1. HaloAmanda

HaloAmanda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    I have 20 chicks that are ranging from 1 1/2- 3 weeks old. I put them out in. A corner of the run while I cleaned out their space in the coop. I went to bring them back in after 2 hours but they were having a ball scratching, running and dust bathing so I felt bad.

They are In a corner of a covered secure run. They have food water, shade and dirt(Poured in a small pile for my bigger chick who loves to dust bathe and they all have spread to out already lol) It's 85 degrees outside with only a intermittent mild breeze.

I had 1 pass away earlier this week so I know I'm being overly worried.

2. buffred

buffred New Egg

Dec 26, 2015
    Kentucky
    Ive had chicks hatched outside and they stay there under their mommas wing and when their not under her wing theyre playing or in a ball gathering body heat. They will be fine left out depending what the temps are

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Try to understand that the ability of very young baby chicks to romp outside without a heat source is dependent on how quickly they lose body heat to the ambient environmental temperature. If the ambient temp is close to their own body temp (100F), they will lose little or no body heat and can remain away from a heat source, broody hen, heating pad or heat lamp, indefinitely or at least for long stretches.

The cooler the environmental temperature is, the more quickly the chicks, those lacking in insulating feathers, will lose body heat and begin to chill. You will notice this happening when you see them huddle closely together to share body heat. Then you will know to whisk them back under a heat source.
    Even chicks a few days old will not need much of a heat source if the surrounding temp is upwards of 85-90F.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by