How Long Can Chicks Survive in the Postal System?

Featherland

Songster
12 Years
Dec 28, 2007
Missouri
My babies were mailed out on Wednesday and I was told by the postal service that they would not arrive until tomorrow. (Saturday)

I ordered both standard and banty chicks. How long can they survive?

What hatchery sent them? I would definitely have some water and feed with you. I would say you are going to be right on the edge of what is recommended unless they put something in with them to help for the long journey.

They are coming from Ideal. Between calling them and the postal service I found out they sat in Texas and now are somewhere between Texas and Missouri. I have some sugar water and hot packs ready to go when I get a call.

I would also check them right there in the post office so you can file a claim if you need to if any arrive dead. Have they said what they will do if any don't survive?

I agree - check them right in the post office. I did that - just asked the PO clerk for something to cut the tape so I could open the boxes. I think I'd also mix up a little Gro-gel to have ready for them - it'll give them nutrients and moisture, but you don't have to worry about it spilling on the trip home.

I would also check them right there in the post office so you can file a claim if you need to if any arrive dead. Have they said what they will do if any don't survive?

old.gif
caf.gif
I had 25 red sex link pullets mail to me from Welp.They were mailed out on the 29th and arrived today 3/3.They were in great shape.I gave them sugar water when I got them.I also checked them at the post office before leaving.It's to my understanding that you should wait about an hour or so after giving them water before you feed them.I'm not sure but I'd check it out before feeding them.Better safe than sorry.
jumpy.gif

Good News! My babies arrived late Friday afternoon. Only a few didn't make it. The rest look well.

The lady at the post office called me and let me listen to their peeping over the phone. I told her I would

be there in 10 minutes. She had them waiting for me at the counter. There was a cute little girl there

with a toy bird in a cage. She stared at the peeping package so of course I had to let her take a peek.

She carefully showed me her toy bird and commented on how she would like to get some birds

in the mail too! I told her maybe one day.

I have just had a similar experience but with hatching eggs. They were 4 days in coming. The post office didn't call me and leave a message the day they came in. Instead they put them on the delivery truck and rode around with them all day, since I was not home, I was at work.
I had a shipment of live chicks and keets come from mid west, then to New Hampshire, then back to Vermont. Overshot Vermont by mistake.
The postal service is not what it used to be.

Featherland, did you have a tracking number so that you could get online and watch the progress of the shipment? If not, ask for it next time.

I did have a tracking number. Supposedly they spent an extra day at a post office in Texas. Then no updates until 18 hours later

when they showed up at my post office. I did make numerous calls to the post office and distribution center. Everyone I spoke with

were nice and tried to help me. Unfortunately I did have more casualties.They were too stressed from their long trip.

Back
Top Bottom