1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long can eggs last in coop???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LindsayB, Jun 12, 2008.

1. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    We are going on a five day vacation in a month and I was just wondering how long eggs can sit in the coop before they go bad. I don't want to come back and collect rotten eggs! lol

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Is it hot, there and do you have roosters? You may come home to some balut

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd be more worried about the eggs getting broken and the hens deciding they like to eat eggs. Once that habit starts it's next to impossible to get them to quit.

4. LindsayB

LindsayB Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Cypress, Texas
    Quote:I don't have any roosters, just 4 hens. only 2 are laying right now and thats about 1 or 2 every other day. I could have my parents come by and get the eggs for us but probably only 1 time in 5 days. Will they be fine for a day or two in the coop? What about when gets cold outside? How long can they stay in the coop then? (we travel alot)

5. jtotherow

jtotherow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2008
    Fort Mill SC
    Hey i have had mine to peck at my eggs and break them because too many was in the nest. It's nasty to have them break in the heat. Oh the smell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by