How long can eggs sit before they aren't able to be incubated?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by piccolini, Feb 16, 2011.

1. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    I am getting ready to set some eggs but would like to accumulate as many eggs as possible. I have 8 hens but only recieved 5 eggs today due to the weather. My question is, how many days do I have to collect eggs before some of them are no longer viable?
    Sorry if this does not make sense,
    Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    Recommended is about a week.
    Think about a hen. She lays one a day til she gets about 10-12 then she sets.
    Scientifically, fertility is supposed to go down the longer the egg sits around.

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

10 days before they start to lose fertility, however many have set older eggs with success.

4. piccolini

piccolini Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    Camino, CA
    Thank you! I guess I'll just collect until its full and if they don't hatch oh well.
    Thanks again

5. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:X2

I have had a few hatch that were older though. I set eggs once a week, but a few times I've skipped a week and set eggs when a few eggs were 14 days old and still had good hatches. The trick is keeping the eggs cool and turning them a couple of times a day until you are ready to put them in the incubator.

6. Jx2inNC

Jx2inNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Hmm...I've got some eggs that are within a week or so old, some no more than 10-14 days that I would like to incubate.
    BUT...they have sat and not been turned or anything.

Wonder if I should pass on these and start collecting the newer eggs that they lay this week or if these eggs may still be worth a try?

7. Sumatra55

Sumatra55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Quote:I would set them, the turning doesn't have any effect on fertility, just keeps the membranes from sticking, and make sure the humidity is correct at hatching .

8. Jx2inNC

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Quote:I would set them, the turning doesn't have any effect on fertility, just keeps the membranes from sticking, and make sure the humidity is correct at hatching .

What do I need to watch numerically for humidity and what happens if it varies?
    And how much play do I have before problems are caused?

Sorry, new to incubating!

9. Sumatra55

Sumatra55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    There are many views on the "correct" humidity, I aim for 45-53% Relative Humidity during incubation and 55-60% for hatching.

10. Jx2inNC

Apr 30, 2010
    Caraway, NC
    Quote:At the moment, I don't have means of measuring humidity in my little incubator. Hmm...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by