How long can eggs sit under a broody and still be ediable?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Fancie, May 3, 2009.

1. Fancie

Fancie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Illinois
    I had to take the eggs away from my silkie cause all the other birds were laying eggs under her (when I took the eggs away she had 12, just 7 were hers)

Anyway, the hens keep laying under her and I would like to have some eating eggs... but not sure if I can eat them... I catch a few from the chicken calls, but other than that I'm never sure how long the eggs have been under her by the time I find them.. I tend to check twice a day, when they are let out in the morning and then in the evening. I could check at noon....... But they are always warm so I just put them in the incubator.... but I am getting about 3 eggs a day and I don't think I need that many chickens.... god my hubby is gonna kill me... [​IMG]

anyway....

How long can eggs sit under a broody and still be ediable?

2. Crystalchic

Crystalchic Gone for a bit

May 6, 2008
    I have a really great eg candler and on day 3 I already see veins.

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    One of my chores when growing up on the farm was to collect the eggs. I would collect them once a day, just before supper. If we had a broody, we would mark the eggs we wanted her to hatch and take any others away for us to eat.

I collected them once a day and we had no problems.

4. beefy

beefy Flamingo Daddy-o

Apr 21, 2007
    South Georgia
    i was wondering this too. i collected some a few days ago that she had maybe been setting on for several hours but they were pretty warm. i stuck em in the fridge and figured they would still be ok.

5. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    Oooo yeah I wouldn't eat anything beyond 2 days of sitting...actually one even. I'd boil them and give them back after a day probably.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by