How long can eggs stay in coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snakecharmer, Dec 30, 2009.

1. snakecharmer

snakecharmer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2009
    Kansas City, KS
    My question is how long can eggs be in the coop with hens sitting on them before they are no good to eat. I have been working 15 hour days lately and have admittedly been slacking on chicken care the last few days. It has been in the 20s lately but they have a light in the coop and a heated water dish and seem to be doing just fine but I collected eggs for the first time in a few days today. I got 11 eggs from my 5 hens that have been averaging 4 a day generally. One was in the middle of the coop and cold so I pitched it thinking it could have frozen at some point but the others were all in the egg boxes with hens sitting on them. Is it ok for the hens to keep them warm a few days and still be ok to eat?

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Do you have a roo?

If you do and any of the hens are broody, development will start.

Otherwise, I'd say after ONE day, they'd still be OK.

3. snakecharmer

Mar 2, 2009
    Kansas City, KS
    Quote:No roo, just the five girls. Thats a bummer since I don't know which ones are today's and which are older.

4. telehillco

telehillco Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Front Range, CO
    If it's that cold out, I don't see how it's much different than the eggs being in the refrigerator. I'd imagine they might be ok for a few days (but I'm certainly no expert!)

5. snakecharmer

Mar 2, 2009
    Kansas City, KS
    Quote:Im actually not concerned about the cold. They have been sitting on them and keeping them warm. I didnt know if them being warm for 2 or three days would be a problem.

6. gsim

gsim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    East Tennessee
    No problem with spoiling at all even if they sit for weeks in these temps or in warmer weather either. Remember, eggs are incubated in 21 days during which time they are at a near constant temp of 100 degrees f and do not spoil. I never worry about eggs sitting around and never find one spoiled. In foreign countries, you will see them not refrigerated for sale all of the time. If they freeze, they are still ok for scrambling or beating into a protein shake or some such thing.[​IMG]

7. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    I found this on "My Pet Chicken" the other day just doing some reading. I thought it might help on your question.

Fresh eggs keep for several days without refrigeration. Surprised? Consider this: hens lay an average of 10-12 eggs per "clutch" (the group of eggs that a hen sits on to incubate). They lay one egg per day and at the end of a 10-12 day laying period they roll all the eggs together to incubate them. That means the egg laid on day 1 is still good enough on day 12 to become a living, breathing baby chick - so it should be good enough for you to eat too!

8. snakecharmer

Mar 2, 2009
    Kansas City, KS
    Very cool! I feel better now. I left them on the counter all night thinking I was going to have to dispose of them but reading that makes me feel pretty good that I can just get em in the fridge and they should be fine. I guess worst case I could do the float test. Is it they are bad if they float or sink, can never remember.

9. Mountain Sunshine

Mountain Sunshine Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2009
    Cleveland, Georgia
    Quote:That website has some pretty good information on it! Glad you feel better now! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by