How long can hatching eggs be left in coop?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smileygreen64, Mar 31, 2017.

1. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    I live in south Alabama and days are getting warm. I leave for work before most of my hens lay. Will the eggs be good for hatching if they are left in the coop all day in hot weather?

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Yes, they will be fine. I collect my eggs in the evening because my girls lay throughout the day at different times, and have not had any issues even in the peak of summer.

3. smileygreen64

smileygreen64 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2016
    Southeast Alabama
    Thanks for the quick response. I wasn't sure and all I could find was people talking about eggs for eating.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    I hatched guinea eggs that sat on my kitchen counter for over 4 weeks in a very hot house. Had a 30% hatch rate.

5. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Last year I hatched hundreds of guineas. They lay in the woods and fields and sometimes it would take me a while to find the nests. I finally found the nest of one lone hen and it had over 40 eggs in it. They had been out there in the rain and heat for all that time. I collected them and put them in the incubator and over half of them hatched, and none were abnormally early (day 26 rather than 28, which is typical IME).

ETA Our summer is not quite as hot as down in Alabama (I used to live in MS and don't miss wanting to pass out as soon as I opened the door lol). Typically mid 90s.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by