1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long can hen come off eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by macleods14, Apr 6, 2009.

1. macleods14

macleods14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    uk
    my hen has been broody for a few days, so we have given her some eggs to sit on. she comes off which is fine but how long should she be off for.

should we shut her in for a few days to settle on new nest as we moved her from her normal house

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  2. Jennings Gamefowl

Jennings Gamefowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    CORDOVA,SOUTH CAROLINA
    my game hen only has 6 days to go [​IMG]... she comes off the nest for about 10 mins at the most...

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Around 10-15 minutes at a time. Depends on the temp outside too. Most hens know though. They won't leave their babies for long if it's too cold.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    It is also fine if they happen to be off for a hour.

Naturally incubated eggs are VERY tough(tougher than artificially incubated eggs also) and will 'survive almost anything' if conditions are otherwise good such as not too many eggs, other hens adding eggs to nest etc.

5. macleods14

macleods14 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2008
    uk
    is it best to keep, her shut up for a few days to settle on new nest as we have moved her away from others and from her normal house.

6. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yes. Or she'll try to go back to the location and either sit there again or on a nest with eggs nearby. If she returns to nest in the new location, that's good.. but keep her shut in- of course make sure theres feed water and a place she can hop down to for a little bit of exercise.

Even if she is good about going back to the new nest, if you do let the door open.. you should check to see if she has returned to the right nest each time. Sometimes they will go back to the right one.. other times they will try to go back to the original. If the new nest is in a setup like a small pen or coop, just leave her in for the whole incubation period.

7. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] Does this really happen? Other girls will push their eggs to the broody hen? I'd love to see that! "Here, I don't want it, IT'S YOUR'S NOW SUCKER!" Lol.

8. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i have seen several hens add eggs. when the broodys get off to eat one or two will jump in a dlay and eggs then everyday u have more eggs last year after one of my hens started pipping i candled and there were about 8 eggs under her in various stages of growth so i put them in the bator and they all hatched.

9. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    That's why I finally thought to mark the batch of eggs I originally put under my broody hen. I was so glad I did, because twice while she was off taking her bath, another hen got in and layed an egg. Thanks to my mark, I was able to tell which was the new egg.
    My hen can leave close to an hour about once a day. Though the last couple of days she hasn't stayed off the nest for long.

10. aberfitch

aberfitch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2008
    Texas Fort Worth
    A good hen will reload then hightail it back to the nest. I have 2 awsome hens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by