1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can I keep eggs from collection to incubating?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sassychickengirl, Jun 1, 2011.

1. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    I would like to collect some eggs for incubation/hatching. How long is the max time I can collect before setting them? I know I need to store them in a carton large end up.... is that right? And no refridgeration, right?

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Seven to ten days, then fertility starts to fade. I like to keep them about 50-60F, but right now, that's not possible here! Large end up is correct.

Happy hatching! [​IMG]

3. sassychickengirl

sassychickengirl Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2010
    small town ohio
    thanks [​IMG]

4. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Like ranchhand says, eggs up to a week old are supposed to be best, and fertility is supposed to start dropping off quite sharply after 10 days.

But I have had good success hatching healthy chicks from eggs that are up to 20 days old. I date each egg when I collect it so I can compare hatch rates for the fresher and the older eggs. Weirdly, I've found that I get a better hatch rate from eggs that are 10-14 days old than I do from the freshest ones. I can't figure out why...

5. ChickyChickyBaby

ChickyChickyBaby Barefoot Bantams

Quote:x2 - I would say with ideal conditions - cool temps & turning - 10 days.

Although I have set older ones, the biggest thing with older ones - they can go bad during incubation ....... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by