1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

how long can i keep the eggs refrigerated ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sandrameissnest, Feb 18, 2012.

1. sandrameissnest

sandrameissnest Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    hello,
    do i keep the eggs right away in the fridge? and how long can i keep them before they get bad ?
    thanks
    sandra

2. Argus33

Argus33 New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Sullivan, IN
    well a lot of the eggs you get in the supper markets are a lot older than you would ever expect. Like i would not be surprised at all if i was told they were a year old. you can however tell by getting a bowl of cold water and put the egg in the bowl of water, if it floats toss it. if it sinks its good till it floats. if it looks like it wants to float, bake with it. you should be able to find this on the Internet somewhere, i just remember watching "The Dive" that had dumpster divers and what they did to tell if the eggs they got out of the dumpsters were good or not. hope this helps.

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
  4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Interesting article. I don't think I'd keep mine a year, but I do stockpile my eggs in the fridge starting in early Sept for the winter.

Unwashed is the key to longer storage.

5. Chemguy

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    I was surprised, too. I certainly don't plan on waiting a year to see if eggs still "taste fresh" but it is good to know that those that make it to the back of the refrigerator are likely still good after a few weeks.

I did some more research on this topic, wanting to see just how old the eggs at the store are. Overall, the average age is 8-14 days by the time they make it to the shelf. (which surprised me....thought they'd be older). The age does vary across the country. Here's a link to a study done in 2000: http://ps.fass.org/content/80/4/383.full.pdf

6. Argus33

Argus33 New Egg

Feb 18, 2012
    Sullivan, IN
    I was just reading the replies on this to my wife and she mentioned on a show called doomsdayprepers that they showed a woman rubbing mineral oil on the eggs out of a super market and saying they would keep for 9-12 months in a cool dry place. Once i heard that i do remember somewhere seeing a product that you dip the egg into and it would make it last a scary amount of time like 3-5 years. i am thinking it was named something like liquid glass i think but i look at it like this. if i have roosters running with my hens, and we have more eggs than we can eat i throw it in the incubator and turn it into meat.

7. Chemguy

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    That liquid glass is sometimes called water glass. When you immerse eggs in it, a thin shell forms around the egg. Many of the preservation techniques are aimed at coating the egg with something that provides a barrier to bacteria, fungi and air. Commercial eggs are washed, then sprayed with mineral oil to help preserve.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by