how long can I leave my broody silkie hen sit?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wendy'sChicksRock, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    she is not even sitting on eggs! been there for 4 day/3 night... I did MAKE her go out to free range today but as soon as I walked away she went right back in her box. Is it ok to just let her sit. I never see her eat or drink...is this normal?

[​IMG]

as you can see she was telling me to buzzz off [​IMG]

2. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    They can sit for a long time, but if you want to break her from her broody mood, I would suggest setting her up in a different location. There are several threads on here that talk about it. Now might be a good time to give her some eggs to hatch, though?

3. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    Im just getting started and have no eggs for her to hatch. In fact i dont have a roo. ( least I hope not ) do I need to move her or will she be ok if I just dont bother her?
    she was laying eggs everyday but its been a few days now with no eggs.Ill look for some info here too. Thanxs for the tip

4. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Here is one thread discussing ways to break a broody hen's mood: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=181289

But
    I think that Silkies tend to be exceptionally broody, so your hen may be more difficult to re-program, and/or she will want to begin brooding again very soon. Go ahead & try putting her in a Broody Buster cage, and see how easy it is to change her mood, and how soon she will want to go broody again. I don't think it's fair to continually put a super-broody hen in a Broody Buster. It also wears on the health of a hen to continually sit brooding on an empty nest. If you don't want to add to your flock or bother with having to sell/give away extra chicks, see if there is someone in your area who would like to have your hen hatch eggs for them. A Silkie can hatch eggs from other chicken breeds, even other species of poultry.

5. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

If you want to just let her set and noth bother breaking her, she`ll be fine. She will eat, drink, and eliminate as needed, without your assistance. When nature takes a different route, she`ll go back to laying with the other girls. Don`t worry about her.......Pop

6. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Our lone silkie hen is 18 months old now. In the beginning she was a good layer, egg every day. The first couple of times she went broody, we broke it within a few days and she would resume laying after 21 days. For the last 4 months she has not layed an egg, not one. If she weren't so cute she would get re-homed. I don't have eggs for her to hatch. But she is cute.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by