how long can i leave the chicks in the bator while others hatch?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    i've heard not to open the bator on the last three days before hatch (18th day) and i had a chick hatched early on the 20th day and the others haven't hatched and I just want to know for how long can he stay in there with 100.0 degrees? I increased the humidity on the 18th day and I just wanted to know if the temp. always has to stay on 99-101 degrees or do you have to lower it on the 18th day? or just leave it like that 99-101 degrees for the whole 21 days or until they hatch?

2. You can reach in real quick and pull the baby out if it is NOT dragging its shell around with it and it as dried and become a fluffy one. It is better to do this than have them walk around and disturb the other none hatched eggs. Be sure your brooder is ready to go and get the temperature (on the floor of the brooder) to about 95 degrees F. Give the chickie room to be able to get away from the heat if it wants to.

3. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    A chick can stay in the bator up to 48 hours with no food and water (a lot even keep em in for 72 hours, I wouldn't go that long)

Your temp should stay the same day 1-end of hatch, if it drops a degree or 2 when you up the hum I wouldnt worry about it that much.

Do you have both of your vent plugs out ? Whats your hum at ?

4. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Quote:yeah i had both vent plugs out and the hum was around 64-69%

My baby chicks hatched!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:yeah i had both vent plugs out and the hum was around 64-69%

My baby chicks hatched!

CONGRATS on the babies [​IMG]

Post pics if you can, I would love to see them [​IMG]

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    It is better to do this than have them walk around and disturb the other none hatched eggs.

I disagree. Everytime I open my bator even a crack to slip a chick out I end up losing more of them than if I don't open it until most are done. Small incubators do not recover quickly. I have also not had any eggs fail to hatch from being knocked around. The only one that had a problem was an egg that the chick got turned down and the humidity was too high so it drowned. The problem was the humidity not the fact the egg got knocked around. So far no one has proven the chicks suffer any harm by being shoved. In fact mine always hatch faster when there is a couple chicks bumping the others and making noise. Last hatch I purposely left at least 1 hatched chick in the incubator at all times to encourage the others to hatch.

Chicks can stay in the bator for days. There is no risk from the temps. The risk is in them dehydrating or starving. They can only live on the yolk for 2-3 days before they need food and water.​

7. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I would leave the chicks in. Take it from many of us who learn the hard way.

Some believe the noise and motion from the other chicks encourage the ones waiting to hatch to get a move on.

I hatched 14 brahmas and left them all in the bator until the hatch was done and had a 100% hatch with no problems at all, and those are monster chicks. So I think you're good leaving them in.

8. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    so I don't open the bator at ALL after the 18th day? (for my next batch that i hatch which is the tenth)

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

nope,, dont open at all after day 18, unless you see a MAJOR problem,, and chicks can stay in the bator 3 days afetr they hatch,, their yolk sac gives them plenty for 3 days.keep the temp the same,, and have fun [​IMG]

10. Feathered Wings

Feathered Wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Georgia
    Quote:I disagree. Everytime I open my bator even a crack to slip a chick out I end up losing more of them than if I don't open it until most are done. Small incubators do not recover quickly. I have also not had any eggs fail to hatch from being knocked around. The only one that had a problem was an egg that the chick got turned down and the humidity was too high so it drowned. The problem was the humidity not the fact the egg got knocked around. So far no one has proven the chicks suffer any harm by being shoved. In fact mine always hatch faster when there is a couple chicks bumping the others and making noise. Last hatch I purposely left at least 1 hatched chick in the incubator at all times to encourage the others to hatch.

Chicks can stay in the bator for days. There is no risk from the temps. The risk is in them dehydrating or starving. They can only live on the yolk for 2-3 days before they need food and water.

I agree Akane [​IMG] I have seen people pull out wet chicks for pics and so they won't injure the others. OR worse pull chicks from their eggs before they have hatched thinking the peeping chick is in pain.
    Do all the research you can on hatching before you ever set your eggs then when you hatch you will know what to do and not to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by