How long can I safely keep the eggs out for candling?

goatkeepers

Songster
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Mooresville, NC
It's still quite a ways away, but I was wondering how long I can safely hold the eggs outside the bator when I candle? Do I need to hurry or are they ok for 5 min. or so?

hu.gif
Why do you need so much time to candle?

Well, it's my first time incubating and therefor candling as well and I'm sure it will take me a little while to get oriented and all. Then trying to figure out what I am seeing (it's brown eggs, on top of it.
smile.png
). I was just wondering if they are alright for that time span. I doubt it is really gonna take me 5 minutes, but just to be safe I wanted to know, theoretically.

Don't take them out if you don't have to. If you have a small bright flash light you can candle them in the bator. Handling them eventually we all drop one or two.
sad.png
I use my surefire and just run it over the eggs. If there is something int here to see you will see it if your light is bright.

I'd wait til 10 so it will be more obvious, but you will probably be too excited
wink.png
. Yeah, it wont take long with a bright light. Good Luck......what are you going to be hatching???

Last edited:
Day 7 is a better day to try and see the veins. Have a super bright light and you shouldn't have trouble seeing through those brown shells - unless they are welsummers.

When I have candled I have had to take the eggs out to get them some place dark enough to see them, but I have never had them out of the bator for more than a minute. I hold my breath and with the egg in both hands (
wink.png
), tip toe to the dark closet to candle them. It shouldn't take very long to candle. You won't need 5 minutes per egg!
smile.png

Yeah, it shouldn't take very long, especially once you get the hang of it. The less time the better..... but all the sites I have been to say 5 mins or so won't harm it. But, even so it won't take that long
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom