1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can I wait to put them in....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Huny, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    Hey everyone I got a shipment of eggs on Thursday, They shipped Tuesday, Do you think they will be ok for a while? I have stuff hatching saturday and sunday and don't want to add these yet, and I have a new incubator coming monday (brinsea). What do you think?

2. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    Do you know when they were collected? If not, perhaps you can ask the person who shipped them to you. I collect eggs for 7 - 10 days and then incubate them and had very good success. But with shipping that adds a level of stress on the eggs and the babies inside.

In my opinion, every day you wait the hatchability is going down.

With that said, if you are going to have chicks hatching, I don't think you want these new eggs in the same bator as they can pick up germs from the freshly hatched babies.

SO you probably do want to wait.

All of this is my opinion and info I have gleamed from BYC.

Good Luck!! What is hatching soon and what kind of eggs did you purchase?

Pictures are always appreciated.

3. Huny

Huny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Sunny Southern Arizona
    I have some New Hampshire Red Bantams, some from my own flock (the first fertilized ones from my White Silkies, and some Columbian Rock Bantam eggs), and 7 Duck Eggs from chickenlisa. I also have my uncle gathering some of his prize winning buff orpingtons and silver laced wyandottes for me and I am regretting only getting the 24 egg one already.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by