How long can I withhold food? [prolapsed vent issue]

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by estamets, Mar 20, 2015.

1. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    I'm trying to save my young hen with a prolapsed vent. It has prolapsed almost every day for a week now, but her body pulls it back in with a little gentle help. She seems to be fine when she lays, but pooping afterwards is a struggle, and that's when the prolapse occurs.

She keeps insisting on laying eggs, despite being kept in a darkened room.

I withheld food for 24 hours yesterday. I gave her an egg in the evening and she had no problems. This morning, I gave her 1/3 cup fermented feed and she prolapsed again when she pooped.

To let her muscles heal and to allow the swelling to go down, I'm going to try keeping her in a completely dark room with just vitamin water, no solid food. This is my last strategy before I put her down.

I'm wondering how long I can/should withhold food before reintroducing solid foods and monitoring for prolapse recurrence.

Or is a daily recurrence a sign that this problem will never heal?

Your advice and experience is appreciated.

2. Kikiriki

Kikiriki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    Central Florida

Sorry you got no response...I have no experience with this, but I am wondering how she did? It sounds like you did everything you could...hope it turned out well...

3. estamets

estamets Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Anaheim, CA
    Thank you! We're still working through it. I finally stuck her in the pantry with a towel under the door crack, just water twice a day for 3-4 days. That was the only way she would stop laying. She gets Prep H twice a day, and an epsom salt bath when she gets dirty.

After 4 days in the dark with no food, her vent is looking normal, so she's getting food now. I'm sticking with low-fiber foods like egg, cucumber and banana. Last night I re-introduced a small amount of fermented feed, and I'm monitoring her closely to see if she relapses.

So she's still with us, and we're working it out the best we can. This is a loooooooong process!

Thanks for checking in!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by