How long can it take from pip to zip

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickiebabyfluff, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Chickiebabyfluff

Chickiebabyfluff Yappette in Training

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    How long can it take from pip to zip? How long is too long after a pip do you get concerned? I have a baby tht pipped yesterday morning day 19 this evening the pip is bigger but it has not started to zip

2. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    How is your humidity? I have has chicks hatch on day 19. It's hard to say as some chicks pip and are out and some pip one day and don't zip until the next day. I have had chicks pip and others pip and hatch within minutes of pipping. You may want to mist your egg. Maybe the humidity is to low and the chick is stuck.

3. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:humidity is 71% has stayed pretty steady he's moving around in there and chirping im worried

4. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    guess i'll give him till tomorrow and see if he's made any progress before i attempt to help him out

5. Glenmar

Glenmar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2011
    VIRGINIA
    I have had them take 12 hours.

6. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    its been well over 12 hours for this lil guy......**sigh** i hate this part of hatching![​IMG]

7. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Most of the time if they have pipped for over 24 hrs I will zip the shell and put the egg back into the incubator and if it doesn't finish hatching on it's own I help it. Most that I have helped hatch only with the egg being pipped haven't lived for very long. If they have zipped but not hatched in 24 hrs I have helped them and most have lived.

Also I mist the eggs to help keep them from drying out.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  8. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    In my cabinet incubator it is usually always 12 hours or possibly a little before from the time it pips to starting to Zip. Once it starts to zip it only takes 1/2 hour or hour at the most. That is for a GOOD strong chick. Some may take longer or even hatch sooner. All depends on humidity/heat etc. My heat is always set to 100 and humidity is always at around 60 percent. Good luck!!!!
    From my experience whenever I have had a chick just pip in the same area over and over there is usually something wrong with it. Sounds like your humidity is just fine. Has it gotten really low at one point after pipping? Sounds like it's a little dry and can't turn...or it's just too weak.

9. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Also I mist the eggs to help keep them from drying out.

Not sure if I would attempt this at all seeing you will have to open the incubator and let out the humidity you have in there. Never a good thing to do after the initial pips. Common mistake a lot make and then it makes it harder for the chicks to get out because they get more and more dried out each time it's opened. I would just let it be and if its not able to hatch on its own It prob wouldn't make it anyhow. I have helped some of mine out but all had some sort of prob. One was not fertile (rooster, he is still living) and the others died pretty early in age [​IMG]

10. Chickiebabyfluff

Apr 13, 2011
    NorthEastern Ohio
    Quote:Not sure if I would attempt this at all seeing you will have to open the incubator and let out the humidity you have in there. Never a good thing to do after the initial pips. Common mistake a lot make and then it makes it harder for the chicks to get out because they get more and more dried out each time it's opened. I would just let it be and if its not able to hatch on its own It prob wouldn't make it anyhow. I have helped some of mine out but all had some sort of prob. One was not fertile (rooster, he is still living) and the others died pretty early in age [​IMG]

humidity has stayed pretty steady no lows and the temp has stayed steady as well. **sigh** the pip hole is gettin bigger and i see him moving around in there.....the membrane doesn't look dry...the one tht is hatching out is doin fine i'll just wait him out and see wht happens

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by