How long can quail eggs sit at the postal warehouse and still be good?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rachel, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I ordered some online and the seller did a great job of getting them out quickly, they managed to get all the way across the country in one day, but have been at the postal warehouse in my city for a couple of days, they hope to locate them and get them to me tomorrow (which would be day 5 in the postal system). My questions are, assuming they are not otherwise damaged, what kind of hatch rate can I expect, and I know you are supposed to let them set for a few hours before incubating them, should I still do this? (Who knows what kind of temps they're being exposed to wherever they are).
    I have hatched duck eggs before, but this is my first time with quail, so I'm not sure what to expect. I would be a little more laid back normally, but I have someone wanting to buy some of the chicks off me ASAP.
    Thanks!

2. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I use to collect mine for 2 weeks and then but them in the bator. I didn't have a problem with them hatching. I would just incubate them when you get them you might be surprised and get a lot of babies. Good Luck

3. NancyDz

NancyDz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2008
    Dutch Flat, CA
    I would still let them sit a few hours at least . Unless they were in extreme temps they should be okay.

Nancy

4. rachel

rachel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yeah, I'm hoping that they haven't begun incubating in the box already. It is a warehouse in Phoenix afterall.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by