How long can roosters co-exist peacefully?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cpo614, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Cpo614

Cpo614 New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    I just recently began venturing into chicken ownership. One of the biggest pros to owning chickens for me, is being able to eat them.

I recently found a hatchery very very near to me where you can buy their left over dual purpose and meat birds for next to n nothing. Catch is, the majority are male.

Housing a large number of birds is very doable for me. I have an entire empty barn. However housing 100 birds separate from each other is not feasible.

Would the birds be ok together until processing age:lol: or should I stick to only doing 5 birds a year?

I have a very large family. 100 birds seems like a lot but betweenus all it won't last that long!

2. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

It's my understanding that if they are raised together, they'll do fine together....although, let's say you have 50% females and 50% males - all those males (once they become interested in breeding) are really going to wear out your females....especially since the odds of you having a 50/50 split males/females is pretty unlikely.

I would say that if you can divide the males from the females, things might go better for the girls. If not, pull out the few females you might get and set them up in a coop separately (or in the barn and separated) - and let the boys be boys.

Others with more experience will weigh in here...listen to what the general consensus ends up being.

Good luck!! Lucky you having so much room!!!

AND lucky you, living so close to a hatchery!!!!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    last year i did horrible on picking straight run chicks i ended up with 10 roo's and 6 hens and the boys really do a number on my girls but all the boys co -exist even though there is a alpha roo, I forgot to add that since they free range the girls can get away and i've gotten 20 more hens to even things out and at this moment only 3 or 4 of the boys are allowed to be near the girls

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. Cpo614

Cpo614 New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    Id def separate the ladies! No sense in eating something that may become a good layer!

That.is why I was so excited to find the hatchery so close! I can pick them up young enough to attempt to sex by wing feathers.

5. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

You are really LUCKY!!!

*jealous!*

6. Cpo614

Cpo614 New Egg

Mar 16, 2012
    Now I just have to figure out how to set up a brooder for 100 chicks!

My friends who read this forum are freaking out right about now!! That's fine guys, I just won't share with you! Kidding, maybe...

7. dragonmorgan

dragonmorgan Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    South Alabama
    More than one brooder will probably be the easiest set up for that many Id think. Then again I like the idea of brooding in my house lol. For the chickens you can always put the hens and a couple roos you are wantin to keep in a brooder seperate from your freezer roos. You wouldnt figure that the roos will fight too bad before they get to culling age. Im new to chicks tho so Im not the most experienced advice giver.

8. angelbabyamy

angelbabyamy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Myrtle Point, OR
    I would buy the chicks in smaller numbers- maybe 50 at a time and stagger them. I have 30 chicks right now and they are A LOT of work. It might be easier to raise and butcher them that way. My chicks are driving me nuts. I was only going to get 10 more this year, lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by