How long can the mom leave the egg for?!?!

nlbeardmore

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
England
I have one fertile egg that is now on day 18! today the mom got off the nest to stretch her leggs but didnt go back after about 20 mins!!! I think she got carried away but is back on the egg now! I felt the egg and it was quite cold so i put it in my coat until she got back, do you think baby will be ok still?

The egg should be fine. At this point the baby is generating a (little teeny) bit of heat for itself, and should be ok for 30 minutes+, depending on your weather.

Thankyou for answering
smile.png
that makes me very happy to know! The mom has recently hatched 2 other eggs and she did a good job so im sure she will be able to cope with just 1 egg! Not long now
big_smile.png

the egg will be fine my guinea hen got off the nest when 2 chicks hatched butthe guinea eggs still hadnt hatched. Plus it was 20 degrees outside but i took the chicks and waited overnight to see if shed go back and of course she didnt
roll.png
and that night it was freezing and the next day i put all 9 eggs in the bator and now i have 4 so far that have hatched. but 3 are pipng and the others were moving around, so i can insure you they will be fine.

Quote:
My hen got off her clutch after three of her babies hatched. I guess the babies dropped to the floor from the nesting box and she left her eggs. I don't know for how long she was off the eggs, but I hadthree chicks on the ground and 9 eggs in the nesting box. I took the nine eggs out of the nesting box in hopes that they are still good and she sat on them. Later today - I will look if any more babies have hatched. It is hard to see because she sits on the eggs and chicks so contently - and I don't want to move her.
Here are some pics:
86546_first_chcicks.jpg

86546_eggs_in_nesting_box.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom