How long can the mom leave the egg for?!?!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nlbeardmore, Nov 2, 2011.

1. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    I have one fertile egg that is now on day 18! today the mom got off the nest to stretch her leggs but didnt go back after about 20 mins!!! I think she got carried away but is back on the egg now! I felt the egg and it was quite cold so i put it in my coat until she got back, do you think baby will be ok still?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The egg should be fine. At this point the baby is generating a (little teeny) bit of heat for itself, and should be ok for 30 minutes+, depending on your weather.

3. Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex

Tam'ra of Rainbow Vortex Chillin' With My Peeps

Its hard to say, but I have heard amazing tales of eggs hatching under crazy circumstances.
    20 min isn't so bad... and she has probably done it before when you weren't looking.
    Don't worry too much. And good luck!

4. nlbeardmore

nlbeardmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2011
    England
    Thankyou for answering [​IMG] that makes me very happy to know! The mom has recently hatched 2 other eggs and she did a good job so im sure she will be able to cope with just 1 egg! Not long now [​IMG]

5. Germangirlygirl

Germangirlygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Kempner
    Mine would get off once a day for 20-30 min. and they seem to be hatching okay so far.

6. diggerthechickenman

diggerthechickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2011
    alabama
    mine have gotten off for longer than 30 minutes and she only had 2, both of them hatched, and it was below 40 degres F.

7. 9farmgirl9

9farmgirl9 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Jasper, Mo
    the egg will be fine my guinea hen got off the nest when 2 chicks hatched butthe guinea eggs still hadnt hatched. Plus it was 20 degrees outside but i took the chicks and waited overnight to see if shed go back and of course she didnt [​IMG] and that night it was freezing and the next day i put all 9 eggs in the bator and now i have 4 so far that have hatched. but 3 are pipng and the others were moving around, so i can insure you they will be fine.

8. Germangirlygirl

Germangirlygirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    Kempner
    Quote:My hen got off her clutch after three of her babies hatched. I guess the babies dropped to the floor from the nesting box and she left her eggs. I don't know for how long she was off the eggs, but I hadthree chicks on the ground and 9 eggs in the nesting box. I took the nine eggs out of the nesting box in hopes that they are still good and she sat on them. Later today - I will look if any more babies have hatched. It is hard to see because she sits on the eggs and chicks so contently - and I don't want to move her.
    Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by