1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How long can they be without food?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Chickhick, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    I had my 1st turkey hatch today. The other eggs have not pipped yet and aren't due till day after tomorrow. Can turkeys do fine in incubator waiting for the others to hatch, or should I get him out and put him in a brooder with food and water? I've hatched lots of chicks, but this is my 1st turkey. [​IMG] How long is it safe for the babies to be without food and water?

2. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    They can go 72 hours without food and water.

3. Jmiller429

Jmiller429 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    Bedford co. PA
    why chance it?

4. MissTurkey4

MissTurkey4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:Because if you open the incubator, you can dry out the other eggs so they will not hatch. You kill them for no reason. They easly live off the yolk for three days. Thats why we can ship day old poults safely. Even a mother turkey will wait until most of the eggs hatch and the poults are heady to leave the nest.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:Because if you open the incubator, you can dry out the other eggs so they will not hatch. You kill them for no reason. They easly live off the yolk for three days. Thats why we can ship day old poults safely.

X2 [​IMG]

I never open the bator until they are done. I don't want to kill 20 to get out 1! They go 3 days in the bator no problem! That's how they can ship just hatched poults, chicks, keets etc!

6. Chickhick

Chickhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2010
    North Alabama
    Thanks! That is what I figured, but just wanted to make sure the same goes for turkeys. BTW, I have 2 more pips now, so hopefully my loner won't have to be lonely for too long.

7. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    I don't know how many eggs you have in but just wait! It can be tough to let that little guy sit in there for 3 days but it's not worth opening the bator.

8. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    Unless you're using a cheap still air incubator that takes forever to come up to heat and humidity I take chicks/poults out once a day. Get the ones that are dry and fluffy then when I'm ready to close up I lightly mist the remaining eggs with spray bottle just before closing the door. The humidity returns to where it needs to be within minutes.

9. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Because if you open the incubator, you can dry out the other eggs so they will not hatch. You kill them for no reason. They easly live off the yolk for three days. Thats why we can ship day old poults safely.

X2 [​IMG]

I never open the bator until they are done. I don't want to kill 20 to get out 1! They go 3 days in the bator no problem! That's how they can ship just hatched poults, chicks, keets etc!

I didn't realize that they could go so long without food but then again, I have never used an incubator. I knew chicks could go a couple days but I didn't know that turkeys could go for 72 hours. I learned something new today.

Thanks for the info.

10. ColbyNTX

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    A.T. Hagan :

Unless you're using a cheap still air incubator that takes forever to come up to heat and humidity I take chicks/poults out once a day. Get the ones that are dry and fluffy then when I'm ready to close up I lightly mist the remaining eggs with spray bottle just before closing the door. The humidity returns to where it needs to be within minutes.

Yes, but we don't all live in Flordia where the humidity is 90% all the time anyway. [​IMG] Once that little sack hardens just a bit, the poult is gonna have a hard time.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by