How long can they stay in the incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Taniam, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Taniam

Taniam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Hi, I read somewhere on this site that hatched chicks can stay in the incubator a bit longer than we thought.
    Was it 12 hours? or 6 hours after hatching? I cant find the post I read awhile ago. Thanks in advance

2. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    They need to stay in the incubator until they are totally dry and fluffy. That is at least 12 hours. They can stay in there for 24 hours before they start acting all hot and bothered. Remember the incubator is running at 100 degrees. When you use the heat lamp, you are going to run it around 95 degrees. So, you see the iincubator is running too hot to leave them in there for too long.

I try to go in once a day and grab all the chicks that I can. I wait as long as possible before I do my first grab as to not shrink wrap any chicks that are trying to hatch. It is important not to go in after a chick and end up disrupting the hatching process of the other chicks. If at 24 hours, the chick still looks good and not bothered by the heat, then I won't hurry to go in after it. I look around and make sure no one else looks like they are pipping. If it looks like the chick is getting hot and panting, then I will mist extra water in the incubator BEFORE opening it. I get my Dh to lift the lid just enough that I can grab the chick and then he lowers the lid immediately. It is my hope that misting water and raising the humidity will compensate for my quick reach and grab :)

3. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    I also read somewhere on the boards about someone who took the whole incubator into the bathroom and would run the shower to get it steamy then they would open the incubator- that way the chicks didn't get shrink-wrapped by dry air....

4. Taniam

Taniam Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2012
    Thanks so much. This forum is such an informative place. :)

5. math ace

math ace Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL
    This is harder than it seems. When you lift the incubator, nasty water comes out of the bottom. You have to unplug it so, you will get a drop in temps, PLUS have to avoid triping over the cord. It takes a while to get a bathroom that steamy too. Add to that you need a large enough flat, uncluttered surface to set the incubator on... It just gets really complicated.

I've done the misty bathroom thing before and really can't say that it was any better than just leaving the set up where it is already and misting the eggs before you go in. I think the big key is getting HELP! You need someone to lift the lid so that you can grab the chick and get out. When I go in, I spot where the chicks are that I want and I grab several at one time. I only go in once a day and only after the chicks are starting to show signs of being too hot. I try REALLY TRY to time it so that no on looks like they are pipping at that moment.

1 person likes this.
  6. wahmommy

wahmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2010
    very good info :)

7. skidmld

skidmld New Egg

Feb 11, 2010
    WAHMOMMY, I like your hygrometer and wondered where you got it.
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by