How long can you hold eggs after you have found a nest

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by grammy of David, Jun 20, 2010.

1. grammy of David

grammy of David In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    rural Kansas
    How long can you hold eggs after you found a nest that the hen has not started sitting on yet? My incubator is full for 10 more days!

2. Akane

Akane Crowing

Jun 15, 2008
    Every day they sit your potential hatch rate will go down. I don't know how much per day though. Usually with chicken or quail eggs it's suggest you set them within a week of being laid for the best hatch rate possible. Finding a guinea nest though means the eggs could already be more than a week old.

3. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    I have set my own eggs up to 14 days after they were laid and they all hatched. The way I figured it, the guinea only lays 1 egg per day and last year when I only had 1 she had laid 12 ( so the oldest egg was 12 days old) and I took them from her to incubate and all of them hatched.

4. Lollipop

Lollipop Songster 9 Years

I think you may have a good hatch, grammy. I once had a little Spanish Game hen that laid 10 eggs in a stolen nest, in the hot August FL sun and that over a period of a month. All 10 hatched. It`s my opinion that guinea eggs are much tougher and thus more hatchable than chicken eggs. Give it a whirl.........Pop

5. grammy of David

grammy of David In the Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    rural Kansas
    I decided to hold then until my incubator was empty which be in about a week. I figure the guinea hens have not started to sit on the eggs that I left behind and are still laying eggs in the nest, so if nature was doing it I have a little while.......WISH ME LUCK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: