How long can you hold eggs?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Bettacreek, Feb 8, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Going to be transporting some button eggs and chicks this coming weekend. Problem being that the chicks have already started hatching and will be ready to pick up tomorrow, so I want to pick them up ASAP before they're sold as snake food, but, will the eggs be ok, or would the fertility drop?

Edit: Well, I guess I don't have to worry about these eggs, but I'm still curious as to how long you can hold onto button eggs and coturnix eggs (for future reference). Thanks guys!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  2. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Button eggs are good for about 10 days then the fertility drops on them [​IMG]

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Personally, I have heard they are good for about 5 days. I actually have read it is best to let them sit for 5 days, then set them. How one is supposed to do that I don't know, but I make sure when I send eggs to someone, they are not older than 5 days when they arrive, provided the P.O. doesn't take forever to ship them!

4. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    yup i have read to 5 days is good.. [​IMG]

i have hatched eggs with awesome hatch rate when eggs were 10 days old these were shipped eggs as well so i would say from 5 to 10 days [​IMG]

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    That's good to know. People are not liking the fact that I send like 10 eggs [​IMG]

6. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:haha, well atleast you care so if they dont get that that's their fault If you had a hundred laying a day then that's a diff story but iim sure you dont lol!

7. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Shelley, you just need to get more, lmfao. But, I don't see why anyone would throw a fit about that though. People are weird... [​IMG]

8. citalk2much

citalk2much Twilight Blessings Farm

Dec 22, 2008
    GR MI: TN bound!
    Button quail heaven had a hen lay 16 eggs and sit and hatch all 16 that had to mean 1 eggs was 16 days old.

9. ButtonQuailHeaven

ButtonQuailHeaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2009
    Michigan
    Quote:That is right and I have read they can be up to a month old and still hatch. Of course the viability is going to go way down by then but some still will hatch. If I am going to hatch them myself though I usually don't go much over 7 days for an optimum hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by