how long can you keep eggs befor incubating?

debbyluvschickens

Songster
11 Years
Apr 21, 2008
eastern arkansas
Okay, I havent done this in YEARS, but thanks to all of your exiting stories and cute little pics, I plugged in my incubator last night. Only problem with that is I cant really remember what temp it needs to be...Im thinking befor it stayed between 99 and 101. I dont really have a good incubator, just the little styrofoam one.

Any way, I have some eggs that my chicken and duck laid, but some of the chicken eggs are about 2 weeks old, and they are dark brown so I really cant see inside of them. Also my mother in law gave me some goose eggs...which I have never tried to incubate befor, some are rotten but a couple are good. Can they go in with the duck eggs? Do they take 28 days?

Okay last question (for now), I am going to keep the chicks that hatch inside, I have always had bad luck with them after they hatch, not sure what I do wrong, I put them in a rubbermaid container, line it in newspaper and sprinkle chick starter. I use the waterer that attaches to a quart jar, change the paper and water daily. I suspend a 60 watt lightbulb over the box. But I always lose at least half if not all of my chicks, the duck do pretty good though. Any suggestions?

On the chicken eggs... how have they been stored for the last two weeks? Were they in a carton at 55-60°F, or kept in the fridge?
Chickens take 21 days, give or take, and ducks 28 days. You can probably keep them in the same incubator, but on day 18 when you stop turning the chickens, move them to a hatcher so you can keep turning the duck eggs and increase the humidity for the chicken eggs.
Not sure why you're losing your chicks, unless they're not staying warm enough. Have you checked the temps where your chicks will be with a thermometer? They need to stay at about 95°F for the first week.
Instead of newspaper, for the first week try the rubber shelf lining - helps prevent spraddle leg. Also add a little bit of a good vitamin/electrolyte to the water, and be sure to change it ever day.

Hope this helps~
smile.png

PS... for some reason I missed the part about the goose eggs... I think they're 35 days... I've never raised geese. Perhaps Miss Prissy can interject here...
smile.png

Last edited:
I kept my eggs in the fridge for a week or 2 before I got the incubator. I started with 20 eggs, but only 12 were fertile. They seem to be doing fine. I have them in the fridge for so long because I wasn't expecting to get an incubator the day I did and we usually give the eggs away or sell them. Oh and I took the eggs out of the fridge for a few hours before putting them in the bator for them to get room temperature first.

I've heard of it being done before, but VERY low hatch rate. But, if you have the room in the 'bator, why not try it? You might get really lucky!

oh sorry, I forgot to mention, the eggs have been outside in the nest, but 1 of the hens was killed by the gnats last week and the other stopped laying after her sister died, i brought them in the house yesterday and just put them in a bowl.

As for the temp on the chicks, if I remember right, I tried to keep them at 90, was thinking that was right, guess it was supposed to be 95. I have never put anything in their water as far as vitamins go. I am going to try and do it right this time.

I am wanting to get some chicks that are already hatched...ive got the fever!!
Any way, by the time you pay the fees for having a small order and then the shipping, you pay a fortune for a few chicks! Any other ideas?

Also, if I put the duck eggs in this week and the chickens eggs next week, can they all hatch together? Or will I have to move one or the other?

A thought just came to me...I have TWO bators!! I want quail eggs...lol...pharoh maybe..so I can hatch little bumble bees! Thanks everyone, you have rekindled my horrible addiction!!!

Last edited:
Hatching eggs are a wonderful alternative to shipping chicks... especially if you can find someone that is willing to give you some to test fertility!
wink.png

LOL!

Back
Top Bottom