How long can you keep eggs refrigerated???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by henmommy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Do eggs get old? Is there a time limit or expiration?

2. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:Yes they get old.. Have you ever heard of a rotten egg?

Tell me this: just how long do you plan on keeping them? then I can tell you if it is too long or not..

3. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Here's a general rule of thumb:

Eggs are good when:

Fill a bowl with water deeper than an egg is long.
    Place eggs in bowl.
    If eggs settle to the bottom and lay on their side...they are as fresh as can be can be and yolks do not need to be thoroughly cooked.
    If eggs, while still on the bottom of the bowl, start pivoting upward they are a little less fresh but can still be used for baking, scrambling, etc.
    When completely upright but still on the bottom of the bowl...the egg is still ok but must be thoroughly cooked (scrambling, used in batter for frying, etc.)
    Once the egg actually starts to float and is no longer in contact with the bottom of the bowl...toss it!

When things spoil, they oxidize; This might explain the whole floating egg method. -From Eggberta

1 person likes this.
  4. henmommy

henmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Upstate NY
    I alway knew eggs rot if not refrigerated, but I have some that are about 2-3 weeks old that are refrigerated.

5. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    They should be fine. Store eggs are that and older. If in doubt then try the method I posted above.

6. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:up to a month is OK..refrigerated..

after that do the float test above..

I have fresh eggs daily. I will not eat eggs over 3 days old..why should I ?

we sell eggs so we seldom have eggs over 3 days old anyhow..

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I can't speak for anyone else, but mine keep just fine for 3 months or more! [​IMG]

Mind you, when they get to that time I most definitely do NOT give away or sell, I usually draw the line at 3 weeks for that. After 3 weeks, I boil and give back to the chickens, shell and all, or scramble for the dogs or the local wildlife.

Out of curiousity, I have cracked and cooked some at 5 months! They were fine!

Most store eggs are pretty old, that's why they peel so easily. [​IMG]

8. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    We must have a pretty good supply chain for our Walmart's eggs. I could never peel those darn things!!!

9. macnugget

macnugget Chillin' With My Peeps

after I get a few extra doz in the fridge I have been pickling them. They keep forever and taste good to with a cold beer. There are alot of different recipes to try.

10. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    An experiment which the results are somewhere online showed they were still edible after 6months in the fridge when the experiment was ended. I think flavor started to be impacted around 4months. Odds are they won't go bad before you use them or you'll have so many fresh eggs that when you forget how old the ones in the back are you won't mind throwing them to the pets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by