How long can you keep to many roos before it becomes a problem?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cterbizan, Jun 30, 2010.

1. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Ok first off roos I have 2 LB, 1 EE, 1 cornish game, 1 GLS, 1 BCM, 2 OEGB, 1 polish, and maybe 6+ more they are to young to really be positive. So just to say we have 15 roos well I only have 49 females that would only leave about 3 hens per roo but I have 6+ in the incubator hoping all hens. The main question was how long can I keep all the roos until the roos get into a lot of fights over the hens? I just don't want to get give away any of my roos just yet. by the way all the roos ages ranges from 1 month to 1 1/2 years.

2. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Songster

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    I have raised 16 wanna be laying chickens obviously some are going to be males.... 1 colombian roo, 2 fayoumi roos, one partridge silkie roo.... suspects 1 americauna (darn near positive 12 week old), one australorp... and maybe one more..... way too way out of the 16... I did promise a breeding pair of fayoumis to someone local who was wiped out by ILV.. but yet to see if she wants to start again...

so waiting.......... come on peeps lets hear your opinion!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
  3. cterbizan

cterbizan Songster

Jun 14, 2010
    Oklahoma
    Anyone?????

4. tammyd57

tammyd57 Songster

Roosters will begin fighting at sexual maturity. This can be anywhere from 16- 20+/- weeks of age. Some breeds mature faster or slower and individuals within a breed can be faster or slower. Some breeds of Games will start fighting at only a week or two old.
    When I keep a bunch of roos until they grow up to see which ones will stay and which will go, I have several small bachelor pens that I keep the ones who want to fight in. If they behave, they get to stay in general population, but they get isolation if they are mean to the other guys.

5. DaKid

DaKid Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    Well I have 10 roo's in a pen by them self some are about 6 months old and other just under a year , what I found out it this they need a very large pen or run if not I found out that if there in too small of a run then there is lots of figthing and also if the can see the females with other Roo in a differ pen/run ....Boy there really go NUTS and CROW all day long and start picking and figthing on the other males in the pen .

So to me I would keep them in a very large run and make sure there not next or see the hens / females , they seem to be more quiter and less figthing

6. DaKid

DaKid Songster

Aug 31, 2008
    Berkley , Ma.
    If they behave, they get to stay in general population, but they get isolation if they are mean to the other guys.

yep I do to but also mine become chicken soup- roast or grill chicken [​IMG]

7. 4fun

4fun Hatching

Mar 30, 2010
    I HAVE to relocate 2 roos-- desperate for help!!
    too noisy for neighbors!!!!

North Texas assistance please!!

8. Dar

Dar Crowing

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:craigslist

9. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member 9 Years

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    They will get along until some occurrence disrupts their normal order and then all heck may break loose. At one time, I had a LARGE flock of semi-feral bantams. The cockerels would all get along fine until a rainy day (generally in early autumn). The wet feathers messed with their ability to recognize one another and their positions within the pecking order. My entire back yard would disrupt into a gigantic chicken fight necessitating the capture of all cockerels and a quick trip to the auction. Those brightly colored bantams brought a better price than meaties. Go figure.

10. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Songster

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    The boys do not always fight, it depends upon their breed, personality etc.

I currently have 4 big Brahma roosters who get along fine, they clearly do have a pecking order, but never fight. They are big sweetheart who are perfectly safe around my 8 week old chicks who actually run to them if they feel threatened.

Generally speaking, though, too many roosters spells trouble for the boys themselves and for the girls who will be run ragged ( and featherless ) by them,

Sandie

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: