How long can you leave your flock alone?

Do you leave your chickens alone for days at a time?

• OMG you should go to prison for neglect!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

IdyllwildAcres

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 3, 2016
In the mountains of Southern California
My Coop
My Coop
When I first got chickens I decided I would have to be able to leave them at least a week if needed. They are my slaves not the other way around. I have left them for 8 days when evacuated for fire. They could go up to two weeks on their own. 12 chickens, 18 gallons of water and about 30# of food in two feeders. Pred proof coop and no yard time if they are left alone, roll out nest box keeps the eggs collected. I leave them alone for 2-3 days at a time and never give it a second thought. I never clean the coop, ever. It is DLM over dirt floor and its been 20 months, perhaps this spring I will clean out the DLM and start over. I feel like I am doing everything right, for me anyways. What about you? How long can you leave your chickens to fend for themselves?

Not a good comparison, given the historical contexts of slavery and the fact that slaves are, by definition, people. The birds are your livestock. They are animals, and therefore this is not slavery. They also could not fend for themselves if released.

If the animals have enough food, water, space, enrichment, and companionship to be happy, and the environment is clean, it doesn't matter how often you visit.

Lighten up.

Gary

Not a good comparison, given the historical contexts of slavery and the fact that slaves are, by definition, people. The birds are your livestock. They are animals, and therefore this is not slavery. They also could not fend for themselves if released.

If the animals have enough food, water, space, enrichment, and companionship to be happy, and the environment is clean, it doesn't matter how often you visit.

Shoot... I could leave mine for months, if I wanted. That's why I had kids - to take care of things while I travel! Well, I had them for that and for bagging groceries...

Seriously, having chickens had been great for my younger son, who has special needs. He is 21, and he feels as though he's contributing (which he is)... albeit grudgingly sometimes. He can feed/water them, let them out to free range, and close them up at night. He will collect eggs when that time comes. I'm more worried about leaving him than the chickens, though. Longest I've left him is 2 weeks, but his grandma and older brother keep an eye on him (make sure he's fed/watered, let him out to free range, close him in at night).

Well when I have to leave for more than 24 hrs. I’ve always had someone come to the house every day for my dogs. So....the chickens are far less work in that sense. Their feeder can hold approx 2 weeks of food when filled to the top. They could go that long with extra waterers.

I said "yes". I don't do it all the time but we were out of town for 11 days and I left them with someone to check on them twice a week or 3 time total during our absence.

There are 7 of them. They have 3 feeders, 4 different waterers (the largest being 5 gal, probably 11 gal total). They did fine and my housekeeper got their eggs. I had a ____load of poop to clean out of the coop. But all was well. ...and they seem to have forgiven me.

My dog and cat required a lot more attention.

Health issues force my absence at times for a week or more.

I have around a dozen birds.

Coop and run are predator proof, run accessible 24/7.

Coop, deep bedding, needs attention perhaps once per year.

Run, 24 inches of deep litter, mostly course carbons, hasn't been cleaned in over 13 years, probably could go without any attention for at least 3 years till carbons are depleted. I add carbons yearly to maintain the 24 inch level.

Feeders, when filled, will last a minimum of 6 weeks, waters a minimum of 3 weeks.
Water source is on a temperature controlled heater, no freeze issues.

At any given time, both will have a 2 week supply, minimum.

That said, I often leave my birds, 3-14 days. Returning to nest boxes filled with eggs, but happy healthy birds. I miss them more than they me.

It can be done, but a bit of planning is necessary.

Back
Top Bottom