How long can you store hatching eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AusHen, Nov 9, 2019.

1. AusHen

AusHen Songster

Jun 21, 2018
    QLD Australia
    Hi all! My friend just lost all of her flock except one hen to some random dogs . Shes fine and still currently laying, shes hoping I could incubate her eggs but was wondering how long can i and how should i store this hens eggs before putting them into my incubator? I said im happy to do a weeks worth but not sure if waiting longer would be good for the older eggs plus im not sure how long she will actually be producing fertilised eggs. Any adive and tips is very welcomed

2. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Enabler

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    A hen will produce fertile eggs after a rooster hoochi-coocie for about 3 weeks. 3 week is also about the life cycle of fertile eggs. The eggs are still eatable after that time,,,,,, but fertility is about over.
    I have read of experiments peeps did with different age of eggs.
    1 week,,, 2 week and 3 week. At the 3 week stage,,, if I remember correctly the hatch out was something like 2 out of 12. :idunno
    WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

3. Maiahr

Maiahr Songster

Pointy egg downwards and rotate as often as you remember :)

Attached Files:

AusHen, Erba, cavemanrich and 2 others like this.
  4. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

The longest I wait is 10 days or they begin to lose fertility. Store in an egg carton pointy side down and one end propped up and rotate the carton daily. Store in a cool room.
    Day of incubation I lay them on their sides on towels for a couple of hours before I put them in my incubator. I don't turn them the first 24 hours after I start incubation.

AusHen, Erba, Maiahr and 1 other person like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: